Carbs in fruits are they free on a carb diet

bigsteve1967

Are carbs in a fruits are they free on a carb diet!.
And how many carbs do you need to lose weight!.
I've been on a diet since 1/1/14 and I have only lost 1kg in 10 weeks my wife has done same diet but she as lost 11.5kg.
I was wondering if it was the tablets I was taking I'm on
Glialazide 80mg twice a day
Metformin 500mg two to be taken twice a day
Was slowing my weight loss.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Are you type 1 or 2? I would guess a Type 2.

I see no reason why the meds you take should slow your weight loss Steve. Most of us Type 2's take some variation of the meds you mention and a lot of us lose weight. In fact, Metformin should aid you in some ways to do that. Your weight loss could be affected by the amount and kind of carbs you eat. There is a huge amount of information on here about low carbing if that's the way you want to go.

Do you have a blood meter? If not I would move hell and high water to get one. It's the single most important tool you can have for finding out what spikes your blood imo.

Most fruit it very high in sugar and ought to maybe be avoided all together or eaten in small amounts. The only fruits I can eat without spikes are berries which I have sometimes for breakfast but most other fruit for me is a no-no. With a blood meter you would find out what spikes you and what doesn't.

Read all you can on here Steve and any to other questions, ask away. Good Luck :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Glic stimulates your pancreas to produce insulin which can cause weight gain in many people so that might be your problem.

bigsteve1967

Yes I have a true test metre I test twice a day.
Stated with meds in November my b/c was 35 at first went down to 25 over christmas.
Started on diet on 1st January been on it since then.
Gave up beer,diet-coke,sweets,sugar,bread,white pasta,potatoes,rice. Exercise is walking up-to 3miles 4 times a week.
My weight loss up-to now is 1kg.
My b/c is down to between 6.9 and 8.9.
I've done the same diet lat year and lost weight strait away.
Any help is more then welcome.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your thyroid checked recently? it's extremely hard to lose weight with an underactive thyroid. I tend to lose weight very slowly too even though I stick to a diet.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the Atkins (low carb) diet - he recommends a very low carbohydrate intake for a few weeks to start with (his "induction" period). This means your body starts to turn to stored fat instead for its main energy sources. Which in turn means you start to burn it off. There are also other variations on this type of diet - some much less drastic to start with - but his version may possibly help kick start your weight loss. But do also check with your diabetic nurse.

Robbity

bigsteve1967

Have a look at the Atkins (low carb) diet - he recommends a very low carbohydrate intake for a few weeks to start with (his "induction" period). This means your body starts to turn to stored fat instead for its main energy sources. Which in turn means you start to burn it off. There are also other variations on this type of diet - some much less drastic to start with - but his version may possibly help kick start your weight loss. But do also check with your diabetic nurse.

Robbity
Thanks Robbity