Carbs or net carbs?

Schmoukes

Hi - noticed that quite a few keto recipes give you a net carb weight rather than the total carbs. I am aiming for less than 20g carbs per day. Could that be net carbs? Bit confused...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the UK carbs is carbs. In the US total carbs include fiber. Take off the fibre gives you not carbs.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't posted my little diagram for a while.....
Nutrition Labels.png

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't posted my little diagram for a while.....
View attachment 40580

Diagram is in fact incorrect as in the UK total carbs are what is shown plus fibre..

The UK "carb" figure is "net carbs" i.e. carbs without counting fibre. The UK labelling doesn't use the term "total carbs".

The US figure is total carbs shown correctly including fibre which is still a carb but is not digestible by humans.

So net carbs is the UK "carb" figure and the US figure is total carbs from which fibre should be deducted to get "net carbs".

At least that's how I understand it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagram is in fact incorrect as in the UK total carbs are what is shown plus fibre..

The UK "carb" figure is "net carbs" i.e. carbs without counting fibre. The UK labelling doesn't use the term "total carbs".

The US figure is total carbs shown correctly including fibre which is still a carb but is not digestible by humans.

So net carbs is the UK "carb" figure and the US figure is total carbs from which fibre should be deducted to get "net carbs".

At least that's how I understand it.
You are correct, UK labels just say Carbs, although it includes sugars which makes it a sort of total. I will amend the diagram and also include Net carbs, although as far as I know the term is not used on UK or US nutrition labels.