Carbs per portion or 100g?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I've been reading food labels wrong. On another thread I had mentioned Warburtons protein bread and someone said they wouldn't have it because too many carbs. Per slice it's either 9 or 11g. But it's a lot more per 100g. So, which should I be looking at?

Reactions: Loukay1
B

badcat

i would focus on the per portion figure and then test what impact that portion (eg 1 slice of a particular brand of bread) has on my sugars

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see 100g and the actual ingredients. Different breads weight different per slice, so I always check the 100g part. If I try something new I always measure every portion myself and then check what it does to my sugar after meal. Good Luck ! X

Reactions: dbr10

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most products are convenient enough to give you a 'per portion' figure but If I'm using a 'per 100g' figure I would weigh the portion out first and then multiply the carbohydrate figure against the portion weight to get the actual estimated content - e.g. 46g carb per 100g, 60g weight would be 46x0.6=27.6g carbohydrate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the food label details the carbs per slice, per sausage, per biscuit, or similar, then that is what you count because that is what you are about to eat. If it doesn't detail this but just says the amount per 100g then you have to calculate how many grams you are going to eat and work out how many carbs that will be.

It is always about the amount of carbs in the amount you eat.

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I've been reading food labels wrong. On another thread I had mentioned Warburtons protein bread and someone said they wouldn't have it because too many carbs. Per slice it's either 9 or 11g. But it's a lot more per 100g. So, which should I be looking at?
Carbs g/100g

D

Deleted Account

I would have thought it depends why you want to know.
- If you want to know how many carbs you have eaten, it is easier to use the carbs per portion/slice.
- If you want to compare items to see which is the "better", it is easier to use the carbs per 100g because a portion is not always the same.

So, if you want to compare different packs of bread to find which has the lowest carbs in it, look at carbs per 100g. Once you have decided which bread, you can track how many carbs you have eaten by adding up the carbs per slice.