carbs question please

M

Member496333

The blood sugar spike will be almost immediate, certainly inside the usual two hour testing window. The time it takes for that spike to normalise depends almost entirely on your insulin sensitivity.

But in my humble opinion more of us would benefit from the understanding that blood glucose is only part of the picture. You won’t see a spike the following day from eating cake, for example, but you will be imperceptibly contributing to reduced insulin sensitivity and quite likely a measurable upward trend in fasting glucose numbers over time.

Blood glucose control by itself is not associated with reduced complication outcomes. It’s the sugar in the entire body that matters. Putting more in isn’t a good idea, regardless of what your meter may tell you two hours afterwards. This is all in the context of type 2, of course, and only my opinion.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The blood sugar spike will be almost immediate, certainly inside the usual two hour testing window. The time it takes for that spike to normalise depends almost entirely on your insulin sensitivity.

But in my humble opinion more of us would benefit from the understanding that blood glucose is only part of the picture. You won’t see a spike the following day from eating cake, for example, but you will be imperceptibly contributing to reduced insulin sensitivity and quite likely a measurable upward trend in fasting glucose numbers over time.

Blood glucose control by itself is not associated with reduced complication outcomes. It’s the sugar in the entire body that matters. Putting more in isn’t a good idea, regardless of what your meter may tell you two hours afterwards. This is all in the context of type 2, of course, and only my opinion.

Thank you well explained . I had some birthday cake last night went for a walk and was 6.5 I think might have been lower . I won't be eating cake on a regular basis for sure , was my grandson's 7th birthday lol

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks Jim.

I see you have reversed your Type 2. What does that mean? Does it simply mean your HbA1c readings have dropped below threshold levels or does it mean that and also some associated symptoms have also dissapeared. Or is there more to it?

Reactions: jpscloud

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jim.

I see you have reversed your Type 2. What does that mean? Does it simply mean your HbA1c readings have dropped below threshold levels or does it mean that and also some associated symptoms have also dissapeared. Or is there more to it?

https://www.diabetesremission.org/our-task/

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)

We define three levels of remission:

• Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months
  • Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or more
References:
1. Buse JB, Caprio S, Cefalu WT, Ceriello A, Del Prato S, Inzucchi SE, et al. How do we define cure of diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2009 Nov;32(11):2133–5.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Report on Diabetes 2016 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/

However, it appears that most GP's in the UK have their own definitions. For example, my GP regards remission as being an HbA1c under 48 for a certain period of time, as do Prof Taylor et al of the Newcastle Diet fame. Some GP's refuse to acknowledge it at all. There are no NHS guidelines that I know of.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
However, it appears that most GP's in the UK have their own definitions. For example, my GP regards remission as being an HbA1c under 48 for a certain period of time, as do Prof Taylor et al of the Newcastle Diet fame. Some GP's refuse to acknowledge it at all. There are no NHS guidelines that I know of.
I see. That’s probably why I was unsure of its definition.

I was told by someone I know with Type 1 that once diagnosed it was irreversible in terms of classification. It turns out she is/ was half right? She also lives in the Isle of Man where things are diffetent with their own NHS.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Thanks Jim.

For me it means no symptoms and no medications. No dawn phenomenon. Little to no postprandial rise in glucose concentration. I’ve also reversed foot and eye complications. The semantics divide opinion among many, but in the end, if a blood test does not reveal metabolic dysfunction, then job jobbed. Mission accomplished. I’ll likely remain intolerant to carbohydrate, but then I most likely always was, which was why I got diabetes. I don’t personally think that there’s anything “normal” about the normal western diet, so I don’t feel like I’m doing anything drastic by choosing to avoid it.

I’m happy with that and will remain so until the day I die. Absolute cast-iron resolve :)

Reactions: Charis1213

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see. That’s probably why I was unsure of its definition.

I was told by someone I know with Type 1 that once diagnosed it was irreversible in terms of classification. It turns out she is/ washalf right? She also lives in the Isle of Man where things are differe
Type 1 is a totally different condition where the body no longer produces any (or only a tiny amount of insulin). It is currently thought of as irreversible. Although there are many searching for a cure.
T2 is usually defined as over production of insulin (hyperinsulinemia) because our body can no longer use the insulin it produces effectively to control blood sugars.
So your T1 friend was right - T1 cannot be reversed ... yet.

Edit to add ....TI's I know it is far more complicated than that but I thought to give a simplified version..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it means no symptoms and no medications. No dawn phenomenon. Little to no postprandial rise in glucose concentration. I’ve also reversed foot and eye complications. The semantics divide opinion among many, but in the end, if a blood test does not reveal metabolic dysfunction, then job jobbed. Mission accomplished. I’ll likely remain intolerant to carbohydrate, but then I most likely always was, which was why I got diabetes. I don’t personally think that there’s anything “normal” about the normal western diet, so I don’t feel like I’m doing anything drastic by choosing to avoid it.

I’m happy with that and will remain so until the day I die. Absolute cast-iron resolve :)
Okay thanks for sharing that. How do the authorities see it? ( This was largely answered by Bluetit, I know )

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.diabetesremission.org/our-task/

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)

We define three levels of remission:

• Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months
  • Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or more
References:
1. Buse JB, Caprio S, Cefalu WT, Ceriello A, Del Prato S, Inzucchi SE, et al. How do we define cure of diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2009 Nov;32(11):2133–5.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Report on Diabetes 2016 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/

Really interesting to see this - thank you for posting. My GP has said one more Hba1c in non diabetic range - would be me second in a row, and he would class me as in remission. It’s the only relatively useful information he’s given me so wasn’t sure what to make of it

M

Member496333

Okay thanks for sharing that. How do the authorities see it? ( This was largely answered by Bluetit, I know )

Honestly I have no idea and don’t particularly care. My doctor has approved the cessation of Metformin and knows all about my dietary choices. Really it’s all of little consequence to me though. I’ve never asked permission to do anything and always just told her how it is. I know more than her about type 2 diabetes anyway. A lot more.

Short of any unforeseen issues or other health problems, I have no need to revisit. Thinking about it I’m probably still on the diabetes register but at least that means free annual eye tests :D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
if we eat carbs such as cake , can that cause a spike a next day or do spikes go back down within a few hours ?

thank you .

Back to the OP, the answer is possibly no and yes.

The carbohydrates that you ate will have been processed fairly soon after you have eaten them and your blood sugar will have hopefully come back down.

However where did that blood glucose go?

Some of it went into your tissues, and some of it went into your liver.

So there is a higher likelihood of you having a liver dump the next day, and less leeway to store away more glucose because your body stores are full.

This relates to the "easy 4 lbs" which can be lost at the start of any diet. The glucose is stored in your tissues mainly in water and as you burn up your spare glucose you also lose the water. Once the stores are gone the hard work starts, of course.

Reactions: Charis1213