Carbs vs sugars

Mike Sixx

Is 1g of sugar equivalent of 1g carbs when it comes to total blood sugar increase?
And it is just question of speed, how fast the carbs and sugars are digested into the blood stream?

If the alternative is to eat breakfaat with 9g of sugar or 12 grams of carbs which is better and does it even matter really ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sugar is part of the carbohydrate food group so if you were to eat 10g of sugar you are eating 10g of carbs.

Where sugars differ is that they are 'simple carbohydrates' and as such they break down easily and quickly to give you a glucose spike in your bloodstream. Great for treating hypo's but not so good if you want to avoid long term damage apparently..

Carbohydrates such as pasta and bread are 'complex carbohydrates' so they break down less quickly. You get the same amount of glucose in your blood but over a longer time period.

Does that help?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mike Sixx - For me, not all carbs are the same, as urbanracer has suggested, but apparently not even all sugars or all carbs are the same for me. Some folks handle sugar better than carbs, and vice versa.

Your own answer is to test and react, where necessary.

Reactions: lucylocket61

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is 1g of sugar equivalent of 1g carbs when it comes to total blood sugar increase?
And it is just question of speed, how fast the carbs and sugars are digested into the blood stream?

If the alternative is to eat breakfaat with 9g of sugar or 12 grams of carbs which is better and does it even matter really ?
If those were my alternatives I'd just skip breakfast entirely...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with bulkbuilder- for me if those were the alternatives I'd stick to coffee with double cream- that is in fact what I do anyway.

An alternative if you have no option- just eat half?

But I'm on very low carb- if you do go ahead- make sure you test- if you start going high an early morning walk might help.

Good luck.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Since all sugars are carbs but not all carbs are sugars, there is never going to be less carbs than sugar in a substance . If your question is: for a given amount of carbs, is it better if a lower proportion of them are sugars? Then the answer is probably yes, as your blood glucose is likely to rise more slowly which might mean your body can cope better than with a sudden spike. This is the theory behind eating low GI foods but the effectiveness is debatable.

Reactions: Rustytypin