Cardiff Half Mararthon on Sunday

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Since having the Accuchek Insight Pump I've now got my life back and have trained the hardest I have ever done before to get myself in shape over the last 12 weeks for the Cardiff Half Marathon on Sunday 1st October.

I've learnt allot about myself and my control during the last 12 weeks and have found running so much harder than cycling but seem to have the Adrenaline bug now which has also caused issues.

I know everyone is different when it comes to sport and there are so many variables but I have consistenetly found that after a distance run I get an Adrenaline spike of 16-18mmol that will kick in 1-2 hours after I finish a distance run?

My routine that has worked so far has been to reduce my basal 2.1/2 hrs prior to going out to 10%, if I had a BG result of 5.5mmol/L before reducing my basal, then before I go out running (2.1/2 hrs later) my BG result will be around11mmol/L.
Once I finish my run (i.e, 10 Km) then my BG will be back to 5.5mmol/L and I will cancel the temporary Basal to normal setting.

I then take a bolus of 3.50 units after I finish to control the Adrenaline spike that then occurs as about 1-2hrs afterwards I will see my sugars rise to 16mmol/L. I wait the 4 hour duration after having the 3.50U Bolus and will then see my BG back on track at around 5.5mmol/L.

Is this just me and has anyone else had any success/suggestions in controlling this phenomena?

Reactions: Snapsy

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since having the Accuchek Insight Pump I've now got my life back and have trained the hardest I have ever done before to get myself in shape over the last 12 weeks for the Cardiff Half Marathon on Sunday 1st October.

I've learnt allot about myself and my control during the last 12 weeks and have found running so much harder than cycling but seem to have the Adrenaline bug now which has also caused issues.

I know everyone is different when it comes to sport and there are so many variables but I have consistenetly found that after a distance run I get an Adrenaline spike of 16-18mmol that will kick in 1-2 hours after I finish a distance run?

My routine that has worked so far has been to reduce my basal 2.1/2 hrs prior to going out to 10%, if I had a BG result of 5.5mmol/L before reducing my basal, then before I go out running (2.1/2 hrs later) my BG result will be around11mmol/L.
Once I finish my run (i.e, 10 Km) then my BG will be back to 5.5mmol/L and I will cancel the temporary Basal to normal setting.

I then take a bolus of 3.50 units after I finish to control the Adrenaline spike that then occurs as about 1-2hrs afterwards I will see my sugars rise to 16mmol/L. I wait the 4 hour duration after having the 3.50U Bolus and will then see my BG back on track at around 5.5mmol/L.

Is this just me and has anyone else had any success/suggestions in controlling this phenomena?
First off, good luck on Sunday @Julian_Hands - you've put in a lot of hard work so Sunday will be a breeze!

I've nothing to add, but I will tag @Snapsy for you. I do believe she disconnects her pump for swimming and either boluses straight after finishing and/or sets an increased TBR. I'm sure she will correct me WHEN I'm wrong; once she sees this thread;)

Good luck for Sunday!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LOL @GrantGam !

Wow @Julian_Hands - have a great run on Sunday! Shall be cheering you on from afar!

I do find that I spike after exercise, and deal with as gently as I can with a 130% - 150% TBR for a couple of hours after stopping.

However I ALWAYS crash around 6 hours post-exercise - scarily so a few Saturdays ago.

I find a raised TBR to be a gentler result than a post-exercise bolus, but that's in my limited experience of lesser distances than yours (although a half is on my eventual wishlist!).

Will be thinking of you Sunday! Do report back, won't you?

:happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: GrantGam

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar do you also experience what @Julian_Hands gets? I know you've done some halves!

:happy:

No, I don't get spikes after distance run really. I might occasionally notice a bit of a rise after a long run if I've had a decreased TBR running. But nothing attributable to a proper adrenaline spike from a run. I do like to bolus and eat pretty much on finishing a distance run but that's probably more to an attempt show my diabetes everything's normal & it doesn't need to panic just because we've run 14 miles. Panic here meaning make any low blood sugar seen at the end of a run turn into a severe hypo.

I will occasionally turn the TBR up after a run, but that's only to claw back any insulin lost while a decreased TBR was running for the run. And really that's more about my aversion to going high and a thing that I should avoid doing because really I am more insulin sensitive immediately post run, and probably for the next 6hours or so.

Sorry not to be of any use @Julian_Hands good luck for the Cardiff half tomorrow