Cardiovascular QRisk?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had this cardiovascular QRisk thing done?
Apparently something flagged up on my record in the computer system that meant the receptionist absolutely had to book me in for an appointment with the GP. But being a receptionist, she was very cloak and dagger and just said "it's about your blood test results".
The appointment was supposed to be for tomorrow, but I had my annual review with the DSN today and she had a look into it and said my QRisk needing doing. So basically, she banged some numbers into a piece of software (bmi, whether I'm poor as dirt, hba1c, blood pressure, cholesterol levels etc), and it produces a percentage of risk of me getting Cardiovascular disease and presumably carking it of a heart attack in the next 10 years. If that percentage is above 10% then you must take a statin and do not pass go.
Obviously, because I'm fat, diabetic, and have white coat syndrome (my blood pressure is high at the surgery), I'm sure it was expected that my risk factors were so high that I might even by called to glory during the appointment. But no, my numbers come to 10.4% (my cholesterol isn't high), and there was a distinct sense of dismay from my DSN. She still wanted to put me on a statin "just in case", but I told her that wouldn't happen. No way.
Been there, done that, got that T-shirt and the achey legs. Also, I'm mid thirties and trying to conceive, so all in all it's an inappropriate choice.
She still had to swan off to the GP though just to see if she could release me from her lair without a statin prescription.
So I've been let off with a 3 months reprieve, and the encouraging thought that I have to lose more weight, get my Hba1c down, and see if I can get my Blood pressure lower and Cholesterol below 4 to dodge the Statin bullet next time.

These silly NHS tools to generate "likelihood" figures are just... well, too much really!

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar experience to mine. I actually found the percentage risk thing quite upsetting - the doctor was quite tactless and caused me a lot of worry, but in the end I could see no grounds for risking the statins.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you Google "QRisk software bug" you'll get a whole lot of reports about how GPs are meant to be reviewing patients they've been treating as high risk that aren't. Doesn't really inspire much confidence in QRisk as a tool, does it?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's ridiculous. Talk about an utter waste of time.
Just to drive the issue home I had a call from DSN today... my prescription for Statins will be ready to pick up at my usual pharmacy. My response: say what??
Apparently "Dr reviewed your QRisk and decided that you need to take a Statin".

How very dare them, and I won't take it.