Carnivore Corner

Hotpepper20000

I get straight from the farm, very fresh extra large eggs. I’m not sure if it’s the breed of chickens. Or just luck but many of them already have a double yolks.:hungry:

Reactions: Goonergal

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2, avoiding carbs and have taken no medication since my diagnosis with an hba1c of 143. My last hba1c in September was 61 and forum members gave me lots of encouragement and advice. I have spent the last two weeks on a cruise and took the opportunity to see what trying to eat like people in this group would do for my glucose levels. I drank only water and had a three egg omlette with cheese every morning and meat and fish every day for lunch and dinner. I passed on the bread, puddings, fruit and vegetables apart from cucumber. My highest number apart from fasting was 8.3 two hours after a meal and my fasting levels were all in the eights. I was never hungry and best of all I got home and I was 8lbs lighter than when I left home. I think a carnivorous lifestyle might suit me so I'm going to carry on. Next hba1c will be in December and I am already excited about it.

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,
Not been on the forums much lately and thought I'd have a browse!
Happy to see this thread, I have been steering more towards carnivore in the past 6 or 7 months, but am struggling a bit.

I can never quite fully commit to full carnivore and my meals are the same every day and I need to make a change.

I have definitely noticed improvements in my mood, energy and skin (which is the main reason I do it). May seem weird but I'm sure my eyesight is better, clearer, I used to get blurry eyes by the afternoon, hindering me from using a computer or reading a book, I don't get this as much anymore.

I want to go full carnivore for at least a month, with no dairy either as I'm still trying to pinpoint if this is an issue for me.
I want to keep a diary and after the 30 days start re-introducing things gradually and really pinpointing what causes me problems.
By the way I am not diabetic, but I have reactive hypoglycemia, since starting a Keto diet my hypo's have lessened a lot and even more so with cutting right back completely. My HbaC1 has gone down and I am no longer pre-diabetic.

I could do with some ideas on what to actually eat, my typical day at the moment is
Breakfast: Bacon, eggs and avocado

Snack: now I probably don't actually need a snack, but its a mid morning break at work and I have always had a cup of tea and its habit more than anything, a bit of a pick me up, my only sweet thing I ever eat it is a tablespoon of peanut butter with a square of 85% dark chocolate. I really don't want to give up this small little pleasure.

Lunch is usually a repeat of breakfast or I occasionally swap out the bacon for smoked salmon, this is where I need a few different ideas.

Dinner is usually steak and eggs, beef burgers and eggs, or pork usually on its own. (I just cooked a shoulder joint and ate just some of that along with some of the crackling). This feels very odd without veg or anything else, I haven't eaten any veg for several months now!
Dinner is hard, as I have to also cook for my two children, and sometimes they do end up eating not so well as I'm no longer cooking 'keto' meals and just adapting theirs like I used to., plus I'm not very organised and don't tend to pre-plan a whole weeks worth of meals...I have tried but I'm just no good at it.

So basically the only food I currently eat is, meat, eggs, avocado, peanut butter and dark chocolate o_O, some cheese and yogurt in small quantities...oh and tea, with almond milk. That's weird right? :) but I do feel alright!

What do you usually have?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @SugarSpike and welcome to the thread.

I’m about 90-95% carnivore (when I’m not misbehaving with nuts/nut butter).

My meals are pretty interchangeable in that I don’t have things that are ‘only’ for one particular time of day. Have listed a few below:

Bacon, fried eggs, (sometimes with grated cheese)
Slow cooked meats - favourites are beef short ribs, oxtail, oxcheek, lamb shoulder, lamb shanks. May add garlic/herbs/dry seasonings.
Air fried meats - chicken wings (marinated in butter/lime juice/garlic), lamb ribs (again, sometimes marinated), lamb chops, pork chops, beef topside
Grilled/fried meats - steaks, burgers, sausages (97% meat ones)
Omelettes/egg based concoctions with various meats
Fish - fried sea bass, salmon; smoked salmon with or without cream cheese
Sometimes air fry halloumi in chip-like shapes, or fry some slices of halloumi
Carnivore pizza - base made from grated mozzarella, cream cheese and pork crackling

Also enjoy 85%+ chocolate or whipped cream mixed with cocoa

Sure others will be along with their own menus shortly

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal where do you get the beef short ribs, don't think I have ever seen them before.. Never tried oxtail wouldn't have a clue how to prepare it.
I was wondering whether it is worth investing in a slow cooker.
So when you have pork chops or lamb chops for example do you just have a bigger portion on its own or do you have it with something?

P.s were you at real food rocks?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal where do you get the beef short ribs, don't think I have ever seen them before.. Never tried oxtail wouldn't have a clue how to prepare it.
I was wondering whether it is worth investing in a slow cooker.
So when you have pork chops or lamb chops for example do you just have a bigger portion on its own or do you have it with something?

P.s were you at real food rocks?

I get the short ribs from Waitrose. They were new to me too. Posting a pic of tonight’s dinner, which happened to be short ribs.

I’d also never had oxtail until a few months ago - saw others here talking about that and oxcheek so decided to give it a whirl. I simply season, sear and then stick it in the slow cooker with minimal liquid (usually the remains - juices and bones - of a previous slow cooked meal) and leave it on low for about 11 hours.

Love my slow cooker - never realised that it could be used for large pieces of meat as I’d associated them with stews. A game changer for me on work days and also on weekends when I’m out walking all day and want something ready when I get home.

I tend to have just the meat and pretty generous quantities - especially on days where I only eat once (not so frequent these days).

To be honest I’ve always liked pretty plain and simple food (can’t be doing with too many ingredients and don’t like spice at all) so this way of eating really suits me.

Yes, I was at Real Food Rocks - there were a few forum members there.
A41DB83E-4552-4214-A09F-BCD5A9D26DF6.jpeg
965CDBA0-B96F-462F-9B18-F5F2995297DE.jpeg Were you? Posting another pic of that!

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
Waitrose says 2.6% where are you looking?
but Tesco say 1.6%
Sainsbury 1.5%
M&S 2.6%
The McCance and Widdowson table says 1.7% That's the govt backed one...

It depends on the cows and the season. The carbs are in the milk sugar (lactose) but the bulk of the Calories are in the fat, which tends to be slightly higher when the sugar is a bit lower.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 in the freezer and 2 dry ageing at the bottom of the fridge for Saturday's dinner.. sorry you lot they're all for us!

M

Member496333

Should have just skewered the whole thing and eaten it like a lollipop.

Steak on a stake :shifty:

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the short ribs from Waitrose. They were new to me too. Posting a pic of tonight’s dinner, which happened to be short ribs.

I’d also never had oxtail until a few months ago - saw others here talking about that and oxcheek so decided to give it a whirl. I simply season, sear and then stick it in the slow cooker with minimal liquid (usually the remains - juices and bones - of a previous slow cooked meal) and leave it on low for about 11 hours.

Love my slow cooker - never realised that it could be used for large pieces of meat as I’d associated them with stews. A game changer for me on work days and also on weekends when I’m out walking all day and want something ready when I get home.

I tend to have just the meat and pretty generous quantities - especially on days where I only eat once (not so frequent these days).

To be honest I’ve always liked pretty plain and simple food (can’t be doing with too many ingredients and don’t like spice at all) so this way of eating really suits me.

Yes, I was at Real Food Rocks - there were a few forum members there. View attachment 36395 View attachment 36396 Were you? Posting another pic of that!

@Goonergal Yes I was at real food rocks, went with my 2 kids, unfortunately I do not know anyone in the real world of low carb/keto that I could of gone with, but it was good to be around like minded people, and I spoke with Dr Unwin! I'm hoping something similar can be brought closer to home as the lakes is not something easy for me to get too, we sort of made it a small holiday!

Will have to look out for the oxtail and short ribs.

Gonna be as strict as I can for the month of November and keep a diary of any changes

Reactions: Goonergal