Carnivore Corner

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Mmmm can imagine them with a nice piece of Stilton and cucumber

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried one a few weeks back. Don’t think I quite cooked it right, but worth another go. How did you cook yours?

Pan fried in butter with some ox liver too. Didn't taste like I thought it would but very nice...ox heart next on the list but the butcher usually only has whole frozen ones which might be a bit big for an experiment.

Reactions: Goonergal

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I tried one a few weeks back. Don’t think I quite cooked it right, but worth another go. How did you cook yours?
I stuff mine with sage and onion stuffing and roast them for about 45 mins . I put butter on them and bast them occasionally . Some gravy plenty of creamy mash ( Albert Bartlett Elfe potatoes mmmm ..Lidl’s) with some peas .
I have to wait til the missus goes out To have them as she canny handle it , lol ..lightweight
Hmmm now I am hungry think I might do a jacket tattie big onion in microwave bake beans and cheese

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pan fried in butter with some ox liver too. Didn't taste like I thought it would but very nice...ox heart next on the list but the butcher usually only has whole frozen ones which might be a bit big for an experiment.

I imagine they would need a mega cooking time.

Erm,..... if it wasn't to your taste, would your dog help you out?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine they would need a mega cooking time.

Erm,..... if it wasn't to your taste, would your dog help you out?

No they took about 1 1/2 mins per side but I had sliced and trimmed them.. the dog had some too of course!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone here do bone broth?

I just made some (again) and just cannot drink it as was the plan. What do you add (other than bones or water) during the cooking, or even better for the batch I now have, after cooking to make it more palatable? Mine was chicken bones and skin etc, some herbs and a little onion. It tastes....oily and not pleasant and I can only manage a mouthful or two. I did a search and as suggested added lime and ginger and it was worse. Not sure what to do with it now. Ideas please

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone here do bone broth?

I just made some (again) and just cannot drink it as was the plan. What do you add (other than bones or water) during the cooking, or even better for the batch I now have, after cooking to make it more palatable? Mine was chicken bones and skin etc, some herbs and a little onion. It tastes....oily and not pleasant and I can only manage a mouthful or two. I did a search and as suggested added lime and ginger and it was worse. Not sure what to do with it now. Ideas please

I must admit that my chicken bone broth is less enjoyable than my beef/pork/lamb ones have been.

My method is fairly simple - I simmer the bones for hours with a splash of cider vinegar (which pulls the minerals out of the bones). chicken takes a lot less time than the denser heavier bones of other animals. The broth is done when the bones have softened a little, and with chicken, can be crumbled in the fingers. The broth is over done if there is a burned or scorched flavour.
I use an instant pot nowadays, but used to use a slow cooker for years before that.

Once the base liquid is done, I drain and cool it. It should set. At that point you can lift any fat off, in a hard layer and are left with a v low fat liquid. Broth itself is virtually fat free, so removing the fat layer improves the texture a lot, if drinking it neat. You can keep the fat and use it for cooking

After that, you can do anything you like with it - freeze it, if you like. I use it for stock when cooking stews, drink it with seasonings, use it as a base for soup, and sometimes I just slice meat into it, and serve it as a meat-filled broth.

I never add onion, herbs or seasonings to it while it is brothing - they just disintegrate and the flavours are v over cooked. So if I add anything like that it is just before serving.

IF you want to make a proper stock, just reheat the broth with your onions, veg and stuff, just long enough to get the goodness out of the veg, then either fish the veg out, or blend it all up together.

Obviously, none of the above is an Instruction on Perfect Brothing. But it IS what works for me.

Edited to add: The best batch of broth I ever made was when I persuaded the butcher to sell me two cow femurs. I brothed them, and skimmed off the fat, and hooked the marrow out of the bones. Used the fat for weeks, for cooking. Ate the marrow as a succulent delicacy, and the bone broth itself was a light straw colour, v mild flavour. I actually had to add spices and herbs to make it into a thin soup, but it was delicious that way. I drank 450mls of it a day for... um... around 2 weeks. Lush. Keep meaning to do it again, but believe me, walking home with those bones in carrier bags was tough. They were HEAVY.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just add, @HSSS - if you intend to have beef femur or any other big bones, ask the butcher to cut them down. Without the practice they have, it can take a while to get through major bones.

Don't ask me how I know this.

I also always skim the fat from bone broth, otherwise I just find it too much.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so at this point I’ll do the skimming thing with this batch and see if that makes it easier drinking and if that fails it’ll be the base of other dishes. Some lessons for next time And will try other bones - do you mix lamb/beef or keep them separate? Thanks.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so at this point I’ll do the skimming thing with this batch and see if that makes it easier drinking and if that fails it’ll be the base of other dishes. Some lessons for next time And will try other bones - do you mix lamb/beef or keep them separate? Thanks.

I made a combo of beef and pork ribs, lamb shoulder and pork chop bones once. I had been hoarding them in the freezer until they filled the pot. The blend of flavours was exquisite.

Reactions: HSSS

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My preferences is for pork or gammon bones, then beef, chicken, then lamb, very much in last place. Lamb broth just doesn't float my boat.

Do you keep a bone bag, in the freezer, @HSSS or do you have them from the butcher?

I have an ice cube mould, for very large cube, and I just noticed in Aldi's email for forthcoming offers, they will be stocking a ice cube mould for extra large cubes, with a lid.

To freeze in that way, I tend to reduce the broth to save on freezer space.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like a trip to Lidl will be in order.

Late to this discussion @HSSS but concur with the others. I’ve only made bone broth a couple of times, but wait for the fat to set on the top, take that off and store it for frying and then either use what remains as a base for other dishes, or drink it, although I much prefer solid food to liquid, so usually just end up drinking what remains after a nice hearty chunk of oxtail or short rib.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like a trip to Lidl will be in order.

Late to this discussion @HSSS but concur with the others. I’ve only made bone broth a couple of times, but wait for the fat to set on the top, take that off and store it for frying and then either use what remains as a base for other dishes, or drink it, although I much prefer solid food to liquid, so usually just end up drinking what remains after a nice hearty chunk of oxtail or short rib.

If your trip to Lidl is for the ice cube tray, they're going to be in Aldi - from Thursday.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/blue-extra-large-ice-cube-tray/p/704704403009203

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I occasionally make chicken bone broth and generally use it as a base for soups or use a little as stock in casserole type meals. I currently cook until the bones are quite soft & crumbly, and I have the liquid which cools to a sloppy jelly and my two greedy little dogs (who think they're in doggy heaven) get to have any bits of meaty scraps and the crushed up bones and marrow in their dinners, and lick the pan, sieve, and various utensils clean for me.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch was pretty good today.

3952257C-174D-4AE5-82B2-9B09202A4D29.jpeg

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
chicken bones and skin etc
I find chicken broth can be tricky. First up it's surprisingly strong, a bit much really, it makes excellent chicken soup and is good with beans and lentils because it's so pokey. Also I find a huge variation in each batch, some are lovely, some not so much. If you have pets, especially poorly or older pets they like it and it's good to get them hydrated. For me I wouldn't try to drink it like beef broth it would just be too much. I guess in some ways that's the magic, you can make a really chicken-y soup with only the carcass and no meat to speak of. So I'd be more inclined to go cream of chicken soup rather than chicken broth if that makes sense.