carnivore diet

coreytype1

Hello. trying carnivore diet very strict and noticing high sugar spikes guessing to much protein. Eating 3 meals a day. I use Lantus and Humalog. wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Been type 1 for 25 years tried everything for an easier life and this is probably the best i have felt eating this way. but notice dry mouth and urinating quite often if sugar is above 150....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. trying carnivore diet very strict and noticing high sugar spikes guessing to much protein. Eating 3 meals a day.
Hi @coreytype1 , and welcome to the forum!
I don't follow a carnivore diet bot have you found the thread dedicated to a carnivore way of eating? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carnivore-corner.164920/
Although I think most participants on that thread are T2, it could still be useful to ask your question there.

How do you bolus for the protein? From what I've heard from fellow T1's I understand that many on a very low carb diet need to dose for about half the protein.

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. trying carnivore diet very strict and noticing high sugar spikes guessing to much protein. Eating 3 meals a day. I use Lantus and Humalog. wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Been type 1 for 25 years tried everything for an easier life and this is probably the best i have felt eating this way. but notice dry mouth and urinating quite often if sugar is above 150....
1. What is your definition of carnivore?
2. How much fat do you eat a day?
3. Do you drink broth every day?
4. Do you supplement magnesium?
5. Do you drink at least 2 litres per day?
6. Do you snack (ie: nuts)?
7. What is your insulin regimen?

I assume you have not read:
a) The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Volek and Phinney
b) Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm T1 and on an informal similar diet to you. I'm on a pump so no long acting. But i'm about 55% basal to 45% bolus, which is equiv to background: rapid acting. Some days when eat less carbs i might be on ~2:1 basal to bolus when all the basal bolus is added up across the day, but i dont apply a fixed 2:1 ratio across the whole day.