1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carob Bean seed flour

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Viv19, May 3, 2019.

1. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

This was in a recipe for chicken fricassee (as Johannisbrotkernmehl). Does anyone have any experience whether it’s good or not? A review said that it was slightly ‘slimy’ in hot dishes, but very good for ice cream. ‘Slimy’ is quite off putting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I've eaten carob coated peanuts and raisins. They were OK but nothing to write home about. Certainly not in any way slimy.

I've not used it in cooking although that's not to say I wouldn't; it just hasn't cropped up as an ingredient yet.

Can you buy a tiny amount and just test cook a small bowl of something?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Viv19

I’ll have a go. If it doesn’t work to thicken hot sauces, I’ll make yoghurt ice cream:)))

4. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Viv19,

I've used it to make chocolate pudding. Have tried a lot of non-carb thickeners in the past (xantham gum, guar gum, psyllium) and this is closer to real food starch than any of the others. It can clump though, so it is a good idea to mix it with a cold liquid before. Another good way to thicken sauces, soups etc is egg yolk, but a bit trickier, and obviously wouldn't work for clear liquids.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #4 ziggy_w, May 6, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  5. Viv19

Thanks Ziggy_w. That’s useful to know. I’ll try it out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh · Member

Slimy could be similar to what happens if you use too much xanthan gum or psyllium flour for thickeners..

Carob powder is also used as replacement for chocolate.

I doubt I would bake with it, just because I already use coconut and almond flour.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook