Carob Bean seed flour

Viv19

This was in a recipe for chicken fricassee (as Johannisbrotkernmehl). Does anyone have any experience whether it’s good or not? A review said that it was slightly ‘slimy’ in hot dishes, but very good for ice cream. ‘Slimy’ is quite off putting.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
All I can say is that I've eaten carob coated peanuts and raisins. They were OK but nothing to write home about. Certainly not in any way slimy.

I've not used it in cooking although that's not to say I wouldn't; it just hasn't cropped up as an ingredient yet.

Can you buy a tiny amount and just test cook a small bowl of something?

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

All I can say is that I've eaten carob coated peanuts and raisins. They were OK but nothing to write home about. Certainly not in any way slimy.

I've not used it in cooking although that's not to say I wouldn't; it just hasn't cropped up as an ingredient yet.

Can you buy a tiny amount and just test cook a small bowl of something?

I’ll have a go. If it doesn’t work to thicken hot sauces, I’ll make yoghurt ice cream:)))

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Viv19,

I've used it to make chocolate pudding. Have tried a lot of non-carb thickeners in the past (xantham gum, guar gum, psyllium) and this is closer to real food starch than any of the others. It can clump though, so it is a good idea to mix it with a cold liquid before. Another good way to thicken sauces, soups etc is egg yolk, but a bit trickier, and obviously wouldn't work for clear liquids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

Hi @Viv19,

I've used it to make chocolate pudding. Have tried a lot of non-carb thickeners in the past (xantham gum, guar gum, psyllium) and this is closer to real food starch than any of the others. It can clump though, so it is a good idea to mix it with a cold liquid before. Another good way to thicken sauces, soups etc is egg yolk, but a bit trickier, and obviously wouldn't work for clear liquids.

Thanks Ziggy_w. That’s useful to know. I’ll try it out.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Whitmarsh

Slimy could be similar to what happens if you use too much xanthan gum or psyllium flour for thickeners..

Carob powder is also used as replacement for chocolate.

I doubt I would bake with it, just because I already use coconut and almond flour.