Carvery treat

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
Hi everyone. Just wanted people's opinions on something. When I cook a roast dinner I only cook what I can have - and plenty of it! But when I go to a carvery I sometimes can't find much to eat. And occasionally I fancy a little treat. What would be best to go for? I'm thinking one small roastie, a small spoonful of mash or a Yorkshire pudding (or half of one). Can't decide which would be better for me. I'm usually very strict LCHF and this would be only a rare treat not a regular indulgence. TIA x

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Just wanted people's opinions on something. When I cook a roast dinner I only cook what I can have - and plenty of it! But when I go to a carvery I sometimes can't find much to eat. And occasionally I fancy a little treat. What would be best to go for? I'm thinking one small roastie, a small spoonful of mash or a Yorkshire pudding (or half of one). Can't decide which would be better for me. I'm usually very strict LCHF and this would be only a rare treat not a regular indulgence. TIA x
I just have meat, green vegetables and cauliflower. Nothing else.

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just have meat, green vegetables and cauliflower. Nothing else.
Me too normally but sometimes fancy a treat. Not saying I'd ever have one. Never have so far since I started 14 months ago. Just wondering theoretically which would be best.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the only way to tell which of the options you describe is "best" for you or has least impact on your blood sugar would be to test - what spikes one person wont necessarily spike another.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I love carveries. We usually have the extra large with more meat but I still stick to cauliflower, broccoli and red cabbage. After 2 hrs my BG is usually a bit raised which means I probably had a bit too much of the cauliflower cheese - but a girl has got to have some vices. :)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @HelenMW ..
For me .. I wouldn't have a carvery and to be honest, I simply can't see the point of half a yorkshire pud, one small roastie or a small spoonful of mash. When I go to a carvery restaurant (with friends or relatives for instance), I always choose something else on the menu. My current favourites are chicken and bacon salad or gammon with fried eggs and mixed veg (no potatoes). I just choose not to put temptation in the way.

Reactions: HelenMW

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love carveries. We usually have the extra large with more meat but I still stick to cauliflower, broccoli and red cabbage. After 2 hrs my BG is usually a bit raised which means I probably had a bit too much of the cauliflower cheese - but a girl has got to have some vices. :)
Don't they put sugar into red cabbage? Might be worth asking ( i hate it with a vengeance but recall it tasting quite sweet when persuaded to eat it).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Don't they put sugar into red cabbage? Might be worth asking ( i hate it with a vengeance but recall it tasting quite sweet when persuaded to eat it).

You have to scrape off the sweetened cranberry topping..... the underneath bit is fine. My local one is very good about answering my carb related questions. (Toby Carveries)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We went to a variety with extended family -daughters mother in law and sister in law plus kids .Every one chose roast dinner but I had avocado and crayfish salad Every one except the children were jealous cos it looked so good ,and it was !
CAROL

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Always have the small carvery and a few little crunchy roasty bits from the bottom of the dish - avoid the mash and Yorkie.

Reactions: HelenMW and Freema

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think the only way to tell which of the options you describe is "best" for you or has least impact on your blood sugar would be to test - what spikes one person wont necessarily spike another.
Good point!