Cataracts

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my cataracts done in 2015. My sight was brilliant afterwards but just lately have been having trouble with my right eye so went to opticians yesterday. Apparently when having this op it can cause the lens right on your eye and under the new lens to thicken up and that what's happened to me. I am now waiting for an operation to have it broken up by laser. Scary but nothing to do with being diabetic.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my cataracts done in 2015. My sight was brilliant afterwards but just lately have been having trouble with my right eye so went to opticians yesterday. Apparently when having this op it can cause the lens right on your eye and under the new lens to thicken up and that what's happened to me. I am now waiting for an operation to have it broken up by laser. Scary but nothing to do with being diabetic.

I've had that done (the laser thing). Don't be scared, it was over before I realised and there was no pain at all. Mine was done in the clinic rather than in an operating theatre, and was much like an ordinary check up.

Apparently it happens to about 40% of people who have cataract operations.

Margaret

Reactions: gvintagedrken
D

Deleted member 308541

I had this done (Yag laser capsulotomy) about 18 months ago on my right eye.

It took around a hour for the photos and prep work to be done, then about ten minutes (I think) to do the laser surgery. Completely painless except for the initial sting from the eye drops.

Amazing stuff, and I have now got clear sight again just like after the cataract surgeries.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my hospital appointment this afternoon, didn't see the doctor until an hour and a half after my appointment time. She had my retinal screening from 2015 which had a small bit of macular degeneration so she was convinced that it was a problem now. So had to have both eyes scanned. She said that I had some small areas of damage (but my last retinal screening didn't see anything). So I do need to have Yag laser capsulotomy on both eyes but it will be a wait of over two months. I don't think I can wait that long so will look into having it done privately.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Having it done privately on 18th January cost £445 , I can't wait for NHS, it's affecting my life too much.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my laser treatment on my right eye this afternoon and I can see again, hurrah. The Dr did say that my left eye had some damage due to diabetes but didn't elaborate. I have my eye screening on 14th Feb so will be asking why it hasn't been picked up.