Category BE

RustySprocket

Hi

New member here, hope you are all well

I have a question relating to category BE on my licence

DVLA guidance states that if I passed my test prior to 1997 (I passed in 1995) and have BE on my licence (which I do) I can drive a vehicle and trailer with a combined weight of 8250 KG

The rules changed in 1997 to allow only a combined weight of 3500 kg

I logged onto the DVLA to check my licence and it has BE listed but the comments state I can only drive a combined weight of 3500 KG

I spoke with DVLA who advised me that as long as I passed before 1997 I can drive up to 8250, and it would not list BE on the licence (which it does) if I couldn't

I want to be sure as I am intending to buy and tow a caravan

Has anyone had a similar issue

I'm aware of the issue with C1 being removed, and teh need to re-apply with medical records etc

In short the DVLA tells me I can, as do the general rules, but when I check my licence online it says I cant

Slightly confused

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

According to this GOV.UK site. Here. https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
I've highlighted in red.

Category BE
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
  • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

To be fair, i normally camp out with a day van & awning.. Hope this helps?

RustySprocket

Thanks Jaylee

Thats what I thought, however here is a screenshot of my own DVLA information

upload_2020-8-17_18-55-22.png

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee

Thats what I thought, however here is a screenshot of my own DVLA information

View attachment 43401

OK, curiouser & curiouser..
it looks like you are on a 3 year restricted licence pending fitness to drive..(Mine is due for renewal in 23.)
Your profile does not suggest what type you are i'm sensing insulin dependent? I passed my test in 1986.

I have no idea how heavy the average caravan is?
But i do know i drive nearly two tonnes of Jap import, 6 of which seats convert to bedding.

Where are my manners. Welcome to the forum @RustySprocket . :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK??? Looking at the back of my licence, my entitlement throws up some weird stuff involving a "BE."
I did tow a caravan once. It was my cousin's home at the time towing in an old Bedford CF van in the late 1980s / early 90s. (Long story.)

Coming at this from a different angle on your entitlements & the safety rule of thumb to tow..?
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/towing-capacity-how-to-work-it-out/