1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Category BE

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by RustySprocket, Aug 17, 2020.

1. RustySprocket

RustySprocket · Newbie

Hi

New member here, hope you are all well

I have a question relating to category BE on my licence

DVLA guidance states that if I passed my test prior to 1997 (I passed in 1995) and have BE on my licence (which I do) I can drive a vehicle and trailer with a combined weight of 8250 KG

The rules changed in 1997 to allow only a combined weight of 3500 kg

I logged onto the DVLA to check my licence and it has BE listed but the comments state I can only drive a combined weight of 3500 KG

I spoke with DVLA who advised me that as long as I passed before 1997 I can drive up to 8250, and it would not list BE on the licence (which it does) if I couldn't

I want to be sure as I am intending to buy and tow a caravan

Has anyone had a similar issue

I'm aware of the issue with C1 being removed, and teh need to re-apply with medical records etc

In short the DVLA tells me I can, as do the general rules, but when I check my licence online it says I cant

Slightly confused

#1 RustySprocket, Aug 17, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

According to this GOV.UK site. Here. https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
    I've highlighted in red.

Category BE
    You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
    • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

To be fair, i normally camp out with a day van & awning.. Hope this helps?

3. RustySprocket

RustySprocket · Newbie

Thanks Jaylee

Thats what I thought, however here is a screenshot of my own DVLA information

upload_2020-8-17_18-55-22.png

4. Jaylee

Staff Member

OK, curiouser & curiouser..
    it looks like you are on a 3 year restricted licence pending fitness to drive..(Mine is due for renewal in 23.)
    Your profile does not suggest what type you are i'm sensing insulin dependent? I passed my test in 1986.

I have no idea how heavy the average caravan is?
    But i do know i drive nearly two tonnes of Jap import, 6 of which seats convert to bedding.

Where are my manners. Welcome to the forum @RustySprocket . :)

5. Jaylee

Staff Member

OK??? Looking at the back of my licence, my entitlement throws up some weird stuff involving a "BE."
    I did tow a caravan once. It was my cousin's home at the time towing in an old Bedford CF van in the late 1980s / early 90s. (Long story.)

Coming at this from a different angle on your entitlements & the safety rule of thumb to tow..?
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/towing-capacity-how-to-work-it-out/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook