Category C renewal for T1

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T1 on an insulin pump, reasonably healthy and well-controlled, no complications so far thank goodness.

I've held a Category C licence - rigid vehicle, no weight limit - for a couple of years and I'm 61 yo. I don't drive professionally. My last renewal involved a D2, VDIAB1 forms and an interview with an independent endocrinologist at a hospital some distance away. This was handled by the Medical Section at the DVLA and took around 6 months.

My licence expires this month, so last September I contacted the DVLA Medical Section to check the renewal procedure and kick it off. They said that I needed D2 and VDIAB1 forms, and didn't need D4 until 5 years, so I sent these off.

In November the Vocational Section replied asking for a D4 - Doctor's and Optician's report - which I sent them. I called the DVLA today to check progress and was told that I need a report from my diabetic consultant. As this has usually been followed by a request for an independent consultant's report, I asked whether they would require this, if my own consultant gave the all clear. They wouldn't answer that saying it would depend what was in the report.

They told me that Category C licences and renewals are handled by the Vocational Section and a D4 is required every year for those with medical conditions from the age of 45. This contradicts their D4 Guidance Notes, which say every 5 years, but they were adamant. Another staff member from the Medical Section said they handle only 'cars'; Category C is the Vocational Section irrespective of any medical conditions.

The issue is that going through this three stage process one step at a time takes around six months to complete, as the DVLA reliably take four weeks to reply to each form or report, and the two consultants they nominate hold one session per month for the DVLA, which may be fully booked weeks in advance. I can drive in the UK under Section 88 but not abroad which I (would) do in the winter.

The D2 and VDIAB1 followed by a report from the independent consultant could easily have been completed by now.

@searley Can any other Category C drivers comment on their recent experience of the renewal process and whether it's possible to progress faster?

Maybe I should start next year's renewal in May with D4, D2 and VDIAB1, get the first two steps out of the way by the autumn and have time to book the final stage a couple of months before my licence expires.

What do you do?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
D4 is only required every 5 years I had one at 45 and I'm now 48 and not had one since

However maybe this changes at 60??

The dvla consultant is required regardless of what your consultant says... the idea is the dvla consultant is independent

Make sure you have a proper 3 months worth of BG readings

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ps

When your license expires so long as dvla has confirmed receipt of your application you can continue to drive for upto 12 mo ths on the expired license so long as you don't think there is a reason for your license to be refused

You should also get your gp to confirm they can so no reason why you shouldn't drive

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Continue to drive is Section 88, UK law, however once the licence has expired it won't be valid outside the UK.

I have my 2x per day BG readings ever since.

AFAIK the change in frequency of the D4 is at 70. The DVLA only mentioned 'over 45' and medical condition today.

Your understanding re D4 etc matches the DVLA's Guidance Notes, however that is not what the DVLA are doing in my case, and not what they told me today. I don't think there's any way to get them to reconsider.

How long does it usually take to renew your licence with D2 and VDIAB1 rather than D4?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks. Continue to drive is Section 88, UK law, however once the licence has expired it won't be valid outside the UK.

I have my 2x per day BG readings ever since.

AFAIK the change in frequency of the D4 is at 70. The DVLA only mentioned 'over 45' and medical condition today.

Your understanding re D4 etc matches the DVLA's Guidance Notes, however that is not what the DVLA are doing in my case, and not what they told me today. I don't think there's any way to get them to reconsider.

How long does it usually take to renew your licence with D2 and VDIAB1 rather than D4?
It varies from year to year.. the last 2 years they have not expected me to see my gp or consultant and went straight to the dvla consultant and my license arrived only a day or so after the expiry date... however in the past its been upto 6 months late

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's similar to my experience.

The DVLA's D4 guidance notes say a D4 is required for medical conditions every 5 years from age 45.

So it looks like this year's D4 etc has been a mistake on their part. Not much I can do to change it, and I tried, but I'll make a formal complaint about their handling of it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok.. I've come back to this only because my licence expires next month.. a D4 form was included in my pack... as it was last year... the enclosed guidance states every 5 years from 45 if you have notifiable medical conditions..

So I guess the inclusion of the form is just a time saver for them just send it to every one..

I didn't complete it last year and had no issues.. and have not done it this year either

I guess I will be on section 88 for several months... only issue is I can get hire cars