Cauli rice

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I blitzed a cauliflower start of the week and got 3 portions, ate one straightaway and put others in freezer. Loved the fresh cauli microwaved with some chilli beef but tonite ate one of defrosted packs and it tasted and smelled bad. Was really mushy and disappointing. So to save me doing it fresh each time any suggestions?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cook it from frozen. I do.
I add mine to stir-fry and it doesn't mush.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I blitzed a cauliflower start of the week and got 3 portions, ate one straightaway and put others in freezer. Loved the fresh cauli microwaved with some chilli beef but tonite ate one of defrosted packs and it tasted and smelled bad. Was really mushy and disappointing. So to save me doing it fresh each time any suggestions?
@PenguinMum You can now get cauliflower rice frozen from Iceland shops,and Aldi and also green veg rice from Iceland they cost £2 for 4 servings in each bag. Tesco and Asda do other veg rice and Mediterranean chips Aldi do Carrot chips saves you the bother easy to use and filling too.! K

Reactions: jayney27

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ickihun what method do you use to cook it from frozen. Its such a great low carb meal Zi really want to get it right.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry apart from stir fry can you just cook the caulirice on its own

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum You can now get cauliflower rice frozen from Iceland shops,and Aldi and also green veg rice from Iceland they cost £2 for 4 servings in each bag. Tesco and Asda do other veg rice and Mediterranean chips Aldi do Carrot chips saves you the bother easy to use and filling too.! K
The version from Iceland is very nice, good to have in the freezer to add to a meal at short notice

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Sorry apart from stir fry can you just cook the caulirice on its own
@PenguinMum i use both cauliflower and the green vegetable rices in place of ordinary rice with pasta meals and curries,the vegetable chips in place of potatoes all very low carb,you just put one of the packs in a microwave for time stated on bag depending on your microwave wattage higher wattage less time,but only a few minutes anyway. Chips go in oven on a tray 18/20 minutes on electric fan oven at 200, hope this helps? K

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Penguinmum - I cook my cauli rice, whether frozen or fresh in the wok, quickly. I just use the prices or herbs I'd use with rice, like pilau for pilau "rice" or paella seasoning for,.......... erm,....... paella. That way, I get the flavour hit I like and with things like paella, I ensures there's not falviour disjoint with the rest of the dish.

Pretendy paella, pilau and kedgeree all work very well indeed, and stir frying (dry frying or a little oil) only takes a couple of minutes in a hot wok. The wok does need to be hot or it can go to mush.