Cauliflower Rice

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love cauliflower rice fried with butter. My other go to substitute is breaking a cauliflower into florets, season with salt and pepper and roasting in a little olive oil :p

Reactions: martin.sim

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
If you don't have a food processor/don't like to spend as long cleaning it as you did using it, and for various reasons don't want to use a knife, you can put the cauliflower in a bag, freeze it, then hit it with a blunt instrument until it's the texture you want. All the mess is contained in the bag.
Lol that sounds like something out of the board game Cluedo :hilarious:

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cut the cauliflower into florets, add a little of your preferred oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Good mix and into the oven for 3 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the chunks. I do the same with broccoli too, it just needs less time but comes out with crispy bits.

What temperature oven, please?

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually use 200c for everything
:D I use 250C for bread, for roasting veg for soup 160C. For roasting meat it would depend on what meat. Brisket would get 160C for a long time, I think my friend uses 220C for roasting bone-in rib. For a square piece of pork belly I give it a long slow simmer with water about 1/2 way up, then let it cool and let the skin dry, and give it long enough in a 220C oven to make the crackling and get the rest hot through. Yorkshires need 220-230C.

Helen40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And yes I should hang my head in shame being a trained chef and working in kitchens for my early career but I stand by my decision lol. I use it that rarely that it’s actually more cost effective for me than buying cauliflower as I don’t use that much either
If I bought a cauliflower I know half would end up brown and in the bin lol. Cost effectiveness has to be weighed against possible waste (if you're lazy like me)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I bought a cauliflower I know half would end up brown and in the bin lol. Cost effectiveness has to be weighed against possible waste (if you're lazy like me)

Crikey I cannot imagine dumping cauliflower it’s my favourite versatile veg. Often buy two a week, I know they are expensive but I offset that against the hundreds of things I no longer eat. I tried the frozen stuff, but don’t have a microwave and found it too mushy. Plus no good for lovely roast or consuming raw. A great go to when I don’t want to bother injecting insulin.

Reactions: jomar_uk

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey I cannot imagine dumping cauliflower it’s my favourite versatile veg. Often buy two a week, I know they are expensive but I offset that against the hundreds of things I no longer eat. I tried the frozen stuff, but don’t have a microwave and found it too mushy. Plus no good for lovely roast or consuming raw. A great go to when I don’t want to bother injecting insulin.

I'm surprised how long they will keep in a plastic bag in the fridge!

Laineybod

:D I use 250C for bread, for roasting veg for soup 160C. For roasting meat it would depend on what meat. Brisket would get 160C for a long time, I think my friend uses 220C for roasting bone-in rib. For a square piece of pork belly I give it a long slow simmer with water about 1/2 way up, then let it cool and let the skin dry, and give it long enough in a 220C oven to make the crackling and get the rest hot through. Yorkshires need 220-230C.
I will go down to 180 for some things and up to 220 for others according to instructions and when I used to bake it would be around 170. Since my diagnosis I haven't baked apart from trying a keto mug cake last week in the microwave. It was good.

Reactions: CatsFive

jomar_uk

The concept of 'Cauliflower Rice' seemed alien but I finally riced / grated a cauliflower today, many months after getting diagnosed with Type 2. Sautéed with black pepper and a little Soy Sauce at the end. It was far more satisfying than I expected so thought it was something to share.

Thank you, I’ll try this.

I’ve seen it mentioned but never asked what it was (pride is a terrible thing :)

Thanks again, JoMar

Reactions: grimblebug

Helen40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy and blitz a whole one when they are large and cheap. I bag the results in individual portions and freeze.
Quick, cheap, convenient, easy
Great idea, but I still like to use the pre prepared, just a personal choice :)

Reactions: jomar_uk

jomar_uk

Using your suggestions, I’m using my ninja air fryer (the 15-1)

Roughly I find the times match but quoted *fan oven* temperature to reduce it by 10C

I use a silicon reusable round base (keeps machine clean and easier to handle).

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Kind regards. Jomar

Last edited: