Caveman Diet

J. Stanton

phoenix said:
reidpj said:
Hi again

Here's another blog I follow (he's no fan of Cordain :wink: ) http://www.gnolls.org/715/when-the-conclusions-dont-match-the-data-even-loren-cordain-whiffs-it-sometimes-because-saturated-fat-is-most-definitely-paleo/

Peter
It's obvious he doesn't like Cordain, in fact so much so that he starts from a totally wrong premise about fig 6, (read the coments where it has been pointed out and then tries to alter his arguments.
I gave up trying to follow his logic at that point.

I wonder if the author has eaten any meat other than from the supermarket. Even a truly free range chicken is much leaner (and tougher) than it's pappy supermarket counterparts.

My claims are simple:

1- Cordain's claims for bodyfat percentage of wild game depend on hunters choosing random animals from the herd.
2- Every known account of surviving hunting cultures, as well as the archeological evidence of Paleolithic cultures, clearly shows that hunters preferentially target the fattest animals. And mass kills were, without exception, orchestrated in the fall, when animals were fattest. (The article provides many examples from the historical and paleontological literature.)
3- Therefore, Cordain's assumptions greatly underestimate the fat intake of hunting cultures.

This argument is verified by the fact that we have a limited capacity to convert protein to glucose and use it for energy. Therefore, it is literally impossible for hunting cultures to live on meat with the lean composition Cordain claims.

I'm sorry if these claims weren't clear. Please let me know how I can improve my article.

As far as my own meat consumption, both of my freezers contain a majority of meat that didn't come from a supermarket. And here are some pictures of the meat of grass-fed, free-roaming bison:
http://www.tribeoffive.com/2011/04/hunting-for-good-food-and-roaming-bison.html

If anyone has questions, feel free to post comments on my articles. I do my best to respond to everyone.

JS