Celebration cake - does almod flour amd lemon curd work well together?

biah_mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tips on using the ingredients welcome. Advice on alternatives also welcome.

My Dad's 70th birthday is coming up at the end of this month. I'd like to make a diabetic friendlier cake so everyone is able to enjoy a slice. Both my parents are diabetic along with moat of my dad's brothers and sisters and my mum has little self control around sweet treats.

I'm thinking of baking a "Naked cake" using Almod flour, with a sugar substitute such as splenda with a fresh cream and lemon curd filling. I'm prepared to make my own lemon curd, and am happy to use the same sugar substitute in smaller quantities we like our lemon a little shaper.

Now I've never baked with almond flour and making curd is something I've only done a couple of times. But does Almond flour and lemon curd taste good together?

I plan on keeping it a small cake so there's no over indulging in fats.

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

My Dad's 70th birthday is coming up at the end of this month. I'd like to make a diabetic friendlier cake so everyone is able to enjoy a slice. Both my parents are diabetic along with moat of my dad's brothers and sisters and my mum has little self control around sweet treats.

I'm thinking of baking a "Naked cake" using Almod flour, with a sugar substitute such as splenda with a fresh cream and lemon curd filling. I'm prepared to make my own lemon curd, and am happy to use the same sugar substitute in smaller quantities we like our lemon a little shaper.

Now I've never baked with almond flour and making curd is something I've only done a couple of times. But does Almond flour and lemon curd taste good together?

Hi @biah_mum , welcome to the forum.

What a good idea, and what a nice thing to do for your family!

I'm not much of a baker so I can't help you here, but @lovinglife has made a low carb lemon curd for Christmas. :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...aps-recipes-anything-goes.198916/post-2666114

Don't worry about the fats in the cake, fats aren't a problem with diabetes. If someone made a cake I could eat without raising my blood glucose, I'd want to eat a nice big piece. :hungry:

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That sounds delicious @biah_mum and I think it would work beautifully together, make sure you use a recipe that is specifically for almond flour though as it’s not a like for like replacement for ordinary flour, there’s lots of great ones on the internet, just Google low carb cake - in fact the site that I used for my lemon curd will definitely have a very good low carb cake recipe on there

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77