Cellnovo

Alfred

Been on a variety of pumps since 1995 afer having experimented a bit with the old Nordisk infusor previously in the 1980s. Have considered switching from the Paradigm 722 to the Omnipod, but the Cellnovo looks much more attractive. (The only negative is that they appear to use single strip BG mmonitoring, whereas somethng like the superb Accuhek Mobile would have been much more practical. But then not even Roche`s Combo offers the the multi-strip advantages of the AccuChek Mobile test meter.)

Unfortunately, the Cellnovo device does not appear to be anything more than "vapour-ware" at the moment. Is there anything to suggest that the Cellnovo device wlll be available in the near future, or at least before the company declares insolvency? I´ve sen a number of innovations and ineresting products that seem to have been developed in oder to attract investor funding. I hope this is not the case with Cellnovo. There are apparently a number of patch pump in the pipe line, including products from Roche and Medtronic - as well as Animas if there collaboration with Debiotech leads to something tangible, but, having seen a non-working model, I would be glad to get the low down
on Cellnovo.

Alf

MCC

I give up after writing to the company countless times to be told it will be ready next year, next year, next year!!!

Now I see they have a nice new office in London but still no pump.
A pump is a lot smaller than an office, cheaper and lot easier to get hold of.
What is that all about?

I think they are playing offices.

I called the company and asked to speak with one of the Design Engineers and the guy who designed the pump has no training...he's a 'self taught' engineer ...hehe that said it all.

Back to my reliable Animas

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was speaking to my DSN about this and she said that even if Cellnovo is released the NHS are looking at major spending cuts and so funding probably wouldn't be available :(

My animas 2020 cost around £3500 and then each box of canulas is £100 :shock: let alone the resevoirs etc. Unless Cellnovo matches this (unlikely) it will not be an option.

SteveO

I don't usually comment on forums but this thread really interested me because I actually had the opportunity to meet the founder and inventor of the cellnovo system at this years EASD.

I am type 1 on MDI but have been researching pumps for some time now. To that extent I have tried my best to touch and feel all the options, those currently available and those to come. I am so happy that there are great companies out there bringing improved therapies to patients and I think the main three (Medtronic, Animas and Roche) have done a fantastic job. My only disappointment is that there doesn't appear to be much change in 10-15 year technology.

I am very excited to see companies bringing new technology to diabetics and infact, seeing the cellnovo system makes me want to wait until I can get that over the existing options.

I'm not sure where MCC got his information from but the guy I met was PhD in microengineering and had previously worked with NASA (far from being self taught). For what it was worth, I was impressed and the pump I had a chance to touch looked very real.

If you check out their website, they have a CEO who is ex-medtronic, a guy from Novonordisk, someone from Abbot and someone from AT&T. I understand being dubious about new companies but cellnovo seems pretty close to being available from what I can see. I don't know that much about it but I have read online that the regulations are getting tougher (a good thing) and that may explain why all the promised new pumps aren't available yet.

I think we should encourage all new pumps (even those dreamed up in someones shed) because if they work and they make my life better, thats a good thing.

jopar

I wouldn't say that pumps haven't progressed in the last 10-15 years, as they have made some major improvements in software and the introduction of many wizards. Improvements in the delivery of even smaller doses.. from 0.1 to 0.05 of a unit. Along side some safety features that have either been improved or introduced...

But yes the biggest problem faced by developers and manufacturers is the sheer cost of obtaining the FDA and European licences to sale the pumps, this cost has also played a part in how pumps have involved over the years, as using known componets incorparated within any new model helps to keep the licencing costings down as the componet has already been tested and sorted any new conponenet has to face a barage of tests before it's final testing within the pump as a whole...

The rules and regualtions are there to protects us the pump user, as if you see the problems faced by companies that manufacuter items such as Ipod, microsoft operating systems etc... And glitch with an Ipod phone isn't as likely to cost the user their life just leaves the user frustrated and disapointed...

JJCEFAI

Hi SteveO,
The Cellnovo product is absolutely brilliant. But I would say that because I have more than a vested interest in it. Starbridge Systems did an excellent job in laying the technical foundations for what has turned out to be a very resilient company. The micropump we developed is very very good. When it comes out, I hope that people will be impressed. Insulin delivery devices are about accuracy, repeatability, reliability, limiting intrusiveness, cost effectiveness. And they have to live in an environment that is seeing healthcare budgets squeezed.
So I do not wish to dent your enthusiasm for the product. It is well founded and well informed. However, I think that Julian Shapley was being a little over exuberant at EASD. His description of working for NASA is a little off the mark. He attended a Summer Camp for UK students organised by a friend of his, at which he was appointed as one of the team leaders. He is also a little off the mark when he describes himself as `The Founder of Cellnovo'. I invited him to join me in setting up Starbridge Systems (the fore runner to Cellnovo). The records will show this. He also is off the mark when he claims to be the inventor. We invented the technology together, and with the help of others. The patents show this clearly. I hate this kind of over egging. The Cellnovo web site makes the same claims. Julian is self taught. He is a biochemist by training and his PhD did not deal with mechanical issues that are found in the Starbridge technology. But that does not matter because we hired a group of very talented and excellent engineers to do the design work. We also hired Micheal to guide the Company to manufacturing and whose background at Novo Nordisk gives him a real insight into insulin delivery devices. So you can have confidence in the product when it comes out.
Hey they are at EASD next week, so keep up your interest in them and visit their stand.