Cephalexin Complications / interactions. T2

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given this by my dentist yesterday. I noted on the paperwork in the box possible issues with it interacting with Metformin and leading to hypos. I checked BF after 3 tablets as was feeling odd. BG was 13mmol even 6 hours after eating. So the opposite of what information stated.
On doing a bit of research it seems I am one of the 2/1000 diabetics affected by the opposite effect....hyper! Stopped taking cephalexin 16 hours ago, but even after 16 hours BG still hovering around 10mmol despite fasting.

Any body else experienced this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given this by my dentist yesterday. I noted on the paperwork in the box possible issues with it interacting with Metformin and leading to hypos. I checked BF after 3 tablets as was feeling odd. BG was 13mmol even 6 hours after eating. So the opposite of what information stated.
On doing a bit of research it seems I am one of the 2/1000 diabetics affected by the opposite effect....hyper! Stopped taking cephalexin 16 hours ago, but even after 16 hours BG still hovering around 10mmol despite fasting.

Any body else experienced this?

Aside from the high blood numbers, what were the symptoms you were experiencing?

To be honest, if your dentist has given you Cephalexin because you have an infection it could be the infection is what is pushing your blood glucose numbers up, as much as the medication. That your bloods remain high, could bear that out. If he gave you antibiotics at all, he must have considered them to be very necessary.

Obviously that can only be speculation, or educated guess, on my part.

One thing I will say is, having stopped the medication, your infection may get worse, and faster than it was before. Please do keep an eye on that and if your condition worsens, please seek medical advice, by calling 111, or if you feel very ill indeed, with high blood sugars, then A&E could be wise.

Be careful

Reactions: plutoniumcard

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Temperature normal. Feeling hot and the fuzzy head. I think the abcess was pretty marginal.
Started to feel now a bit "chesty", so it maybe a virus underlying.
Going to fast for a bit longer and keep up the fluids.
Aside from the high blood numbers, what were the symptoms you were experiencing?

To be honest, if your dentist has given you Cephalexin because you have an infection it could be the infection is what is pushing your blood glucose numbers up, as much as the medication. That your bloods remain high, could bear that out. If he gave you antibiotics at all, he must have considered them to be very necessary.

Obviously that can only be speculation, or educated guess, on my part.

One thing I will say is, having stopped the medication, your infection may get worse, and faster than it was before. Please do keep an eye on that and if your condition worsens, please seek medical advice, by calling 111, or if you feel very ill indeed, with high blood sugars, then A&E could be wise.

Be careful