CGM and a disappointing conversation about pumps

Dollyrocker

So, I've been given a CGM, went today to have it fitted and I'll go back on Thursday to go through the results, I was surprised by how tiny it is, I was expecting some kind of cannula/monitor combination but it's just a sensor attached by a wire no more than 2 inches round

The nurse I saw wasn't my regular nurse and I'm left feeling pretty disappointed by the consultation.
I saw my normal diabetes consultant in June and he was talking about putting me on a pump and said that the CGM would be the last step. I haven't done a DAFNE course as I can't take the time off work but my Doctor was happy that I understood carb counting completely and was using it effectively so I figured I had satisfied that NICE prerequisite but the nurse I saw today implied I wouldn't be eligible for a pump until I did it.

I feel really disappointed to be honest, I''m doing all I can to get my HBA1c down and feel like it's one step forward 2 steps back. I went from 6.5 back up to 8 for no apparent reason,

The only good thing about today is that my HBA1c is now 7 and I have at least got the CGM so hopefully they will see that the insulin isn't working regardless of what I do :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dollyrocker,
Is it like this?
http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/pro ... pro-2.html

If so have a look at Riva Greenbergs Blog (you'll have to google because of forum policy :wink: ) for Jan 2010. She has examples of the kinds of readouts you will see on the computer.

I used a similar device earlier in the year but because I am on a pump already I used a model which was linked to a pump and I could see the glucose movement on the screen but for finding out what is happening on normal days (without you changing things in response to it) I can see that having it on blind could be valuable.
it really came into its own when I was able to look at the data on the screen and talk about it with my nurse and doctor. (I then wore it for another week and make some changes so we compare before and after)
I found that it really helped to have an accurate record of what I ate and when I exercised, you should also add insulin doses (the pump registered that for me) and anything else that might influence things (the more data the better). Make sure you have the right number of bg readings to check calibration with.
Oh and a word of warning, I was wearing mine for 6 days at a time (you can force the sensor to work a second time with a pump.) I became very itchy and got a horrid rash under the protective film. I sometimes have problems with irritation with my pump sets, this though was much worse :(

Dollyrocker

Hi phoenix,

Yes that's the exact one I have, I can see how they would get uncomfortable after a while, I'm glad mines only on for 3 days!

I can definitely see how ts advantagous to have a continuous record but I really can't see how I'm going to get any better results, without being hypo all the time, on a b/b pen regime.