CGM and sensor life

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
OK I'm starting this thread here but it may get moved to Monitoring... whatever

As you can see from my signature below, I've been using a Medtronic Paradigm 522 with CGM for some time. I have recently discovered an excellent way to increase the life of the CGM sensors, which we are told last only 3 days. WRONG! The current record achieved on another forum is 12 days before accuracy degrades to a state beyond usefulness.

All you have to do when you get the SENSOR END message on your pump is leave the transmitter and sensor attached and in place, then select New Sensor from the usual pump menu. You'll be prompted almost immediately for a calibration bg reading and voila, you have another 3 days use!

I have to say I would not be entirely happy about leaving a sensor in situ for 12 days, for fear of possible site infection, and my consultant concurs. But we both agreed there should be no problem at all with 6 days. Just take all the usual precautions and be observant with regard to the site location.

At the moment I am now replacing the sensor and recharging the transmitter every 6 days, effectively doubling the life of what is a fiendishly expensive accessory. I've never used a different CGM system, but I'm hoping there are similar workarounds to be found in other systems. It would be useful if anyone could share their experience here.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I really like the idea of CGMS.

It's a pitty it's not available on the NHS. I like the look of the Freestyle Navigator.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I think CGMS is great too, but it's not for all and takes some work to get used to. It makes me safer to be around, as I have almost zero hypo awareness these days, so not a single ambulance trip in 18 months! Wish I'd had it before writing off my beautiful car, which was my last visit to A&E, don't drive anymore, sniff sniff...