Type 1 CGM and UK/NHS

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

does anyone have a CGM in UK and can shed some light on how does it work in UK? Is it possible to get it from NHS (or at least some support from them for the costs), do you have to pay for all the supplies (sensor, etc), and if so - simply how much does it cost?
From what I understand the costs:
- receiver, very pricey, need to get one for quite long period of time, but it's not forever (how often do you need to get a new one?)
- transmitter, very pricey, need to get a new one every 6 months or so (when battery dies)
- sensor, moderately pricey, need to get a new one every 3-7 days (according to the manufacturer)

I was thinking about getting a CGM, and I could probably pay for the receiver and some initial costs, but getting a new sensor so often and the transmitter every now and then... I'm not sure.

If anyone can share how it looks in the UK, would be helpful!

Also, I'm on injections, not a pump, if that changes anything.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I am in effect a continuous blood-glucose monitor myself.

But mostly I use visually read strips, because they're a lot simpler and far cheaper than using a meter - http://www.betachek.com/uk/ The cost per test is a fraction of that using a meter. (I mostly use my meter only first thing in the morning and last thing at night.)

I would gain nothing by having a monitor attached to me.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in effect a continuous blood-glucose monitor myself.

But mostly I use visually read strips, because they're a lot simpler and far cheaper than using a meter - http://www.betachek.com/uk/ The cost per test is a fraction of that using a meter. (I mostly use my meter only first thing in the morning and last thing at night.)

I would gain nothing by having a monitor attached to me.

Are those strips acceptable for the legalities surrounding driving though?
I doubt it. DVLA want as accurate a result as possible. So for those of is with a license I would not recommend them.

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 2 people

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Meters are acceptable for the legalities surrounding driving.

I use a meter too.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meters are acceptable for the legalities surrounding driving.

I use a meter too.

But you only test at morning and at night? You have to test within 30 minutes of getting into a car

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
CGM's are available through the NHS but the waiting lists can be quite long, I was offered one several years ago but was told I would have to wait months for it to become available, I would mention it to your DSN and ask if you can put your name down for the next available date.

Reactions: 2 people

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Well, fine.

If you need to test using a meter on those particular occasions, then that's the thing to do.

But clearly, that doesn't rule out testing MORE OFTEN than just on those particular occasions.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CGM's are available through the NHS but the waiting lists can be quite long, I was offered one several years ago but was told I would have to wait months for it to become available, I would mention it to your DSN and ask if you can put your name down for the next available date.

Ah, interesting, thank!
Is it common for hospitals to have some CGMs that can be lended to the patients for a short time? I'm guessing it may be useful to try it out before making the decision of buying one...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ah, interesting, thank!
Is it common for hospitals to have some CGMs that can be lended to the patients for a short time? I'm guessing it may be useful to try it out before making the decision of buying one...

Agreed Paulina, I was told that I'd get one for 7 days (I believe that's the max time allowed) before returning it and for the results to be analysed, in the end I didn't bother but you should ask all the same.