CGM - Continuos Glucose Monitoring

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
Just wondering if people could share their experiences with CGM. does it hurt to get the sensors put into your body? How long do the sensors work before you need to get replacements? Is it expensive? How would I go about trying it in the UK?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers

Sam

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been doing a lot of research in to cgm's and to what I can gather it costs about £1000 for the cgm and about £250 for 4 sensors they are supposed to be changed on a weekly basis, but I have read that some members here can get them to last a lot longer than that. As for what it is like to put the sensor in I really don't know, but hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon to tell you more

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm trialling a dexcom sensor at the moment. I'm on day 13. It does cut out every now and then but then comes back on. I love it. Going to the gym now and it helps me stay within target.

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
Thanks for those figures Crimsonslient - I have heard they are working to extend the sensors lifespan, but it's obviously time consuming and very resourcefully draining research. Finger crossed they make a breakthrough soon!

Thank you for your response and info Mrs Vimes - was it expensive for you to get the sensor implanted? Did it hurt at all? (I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain in medical environments lol)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Sammy, on average a sensor lasts 19 days using Dexcom G4 the cost you will have to check with advanced therapeutics who supply the stand a loan device. The sensors can be purchased also from Animas and work out to £186 for 4 or £50 for a single sensor.
No it doesn't hurt to put the sensor in. I was most surprised to find this :)
Other cgm devices you will have to consult with the suppliers as I have no idea about the pricing. (Medtronic and the Navigator) Both of these work out a lot more expensive in the long run as sensors do not last as long.. As I understand it they are not as accurate either.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't get to the gym. Went into the back of a car! My fault but thank god no one hurt. CGM read 6.8. Ugh I'm such a complete knob head.

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Sam,
I've been looking into this myself, just sent an email asking for information from Minimed about the costs of theirs and they said:
If you're already on the Paradigm Veo insulin pump, you "just" need the CGM starter pack which includes a 5 pack of enlite sensors, minilink (which I assume is the part which sends the results to the pump) and an enlite inserter (to insert the sensors). This costs £687. After that, the sensors cost £275 for a pack of 5, or £525 for a pack of 10 and they last around 6 days. From what I've read the Minimed ones aren't very good for lasting longer than the time stated. If you don't have an insulin pump, you'd need the Guardian too (which is basically just a standalone CGM device which your sensors link to instead of to the pump), and the cost to buy the that with the CGM starter kit is £1599 on promotion at the moment (it says it ended on 25th April but they were still running it last week).
I'd mentioned in the email that I was concerned it was out of my price range and did they have any suggestions re: funding, and if I decided to go for it did they do any sort of trial period, but they didn't offer any advice on that front unfortunately.
Having read more online, it seems the Dexcom is more popular because they're cheaper to run, the sensors last longer and I hear they're more accurate.
It seems that some people are able to get CGM funded by their local hospital, but I guess it's just a case of whether you're lucky enough to live in the right area- I can't get it at mine- but I believe it's worth asking. Apparently the best way to go about it is to weigh up the pros and cons, and if CGM could prevent serious hypos (if you have reduced awareness for example) and/or hospital admissions, and/or could save money because you're getting through a ridiculous amount of blood testing strips at present, then it's definitely worth a shot. You have to essentially present a case to them for how CGM could be the most efficient option in your case, and hope that they agree!
Also, if you're interested in trialling it out, most hospitals will allow you to loan one just for 6 days, to get a clearer picture of what's going on with your blood sugars. I'd recommend trying that before considering forking out to pay for one if that's what it comes to!
Good luck (and let us know how you get on)
Sarah

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used Medtronic Enlite CGM sensors for about the last 3 years. I have found their accuracy to be good with only a couple of rogue sensors which have given inaccurate results. To insert the sensor you use a special inserting device and then retract the metal needle leaving the sensor under the skin, it doesn't hurt anymore than sticking a normal needle into your skin. I have only been able to get 7 days maximum from each sensor, 6 days as stated by Medtronic and 1 further day by re -linking the sensor after the 6 days is up.

You do still need to calibrate the sensors a very minimum of twice a day but in reality I do at least 4 to 6 blood tests to keep the accuracy of the sensor as good as possible. If you are unwell, hypo, hyper or anywhere out of the ordinary then you need to test more often with blood testing, I don't use a lot less strips than I did before using CGM. The main argument for funding is lack of hypo awareness resulting in dangerous hypos that you are unable to treat yourself. It is good at providing peace of mind if you are hypo unaware and giving the bigger picture of what your blood sugar is doing 24 hours a day. It works alongside blood glucose monitoring to enable you to improve your control but it doesn't replace the need for it..

Ask at your diabetes clinic to see if you can loan one for a week to see what work it entails and if you think you would benefit from it. Hope this helps. All the best.

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, flowerpot, when I said "or if you're getting through a ridiculous amount of test strips" I only meant like really ridiculous- like if you were testing 18 times a day because you were scared of hypos of whatever, lol. I wasn't very clear there! :)

chiara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm trialling a dexcom sensor at the moment. I'm on day 13. It does cut out every now and then but then comes back on. I love it. Going to the gym now and it helps me stay within target.

Hi, good to know, but what about the cost? I used Minimed in the past, but is really too expensive

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
£500 from animas for the transmitter and 4 sensors. You sign a vat exempt form and need a letter from your consultant to say they will support you in the use. If you don't have an animas pump I'm not sure after that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum Appthen sensors I think £47/48 after that.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you get prescribed the Animas Vibe pump then you don't need to buy a Dexcom receiver, because the pump has an integrated receiver. You still need to buy the transmitter and sensors. Also you will need to buy a new transmitter every one to two years.

With great care in making sure the sensor remains securely taped on to me, and having made sure that the site is clean and sterile to avoid infection and itching, I have just started my 5th week on the same Dexcom G4 sensor. That's getting down near a pound a day which is much less than what I cost the NHS in test strips. The accuracy is not all the time perfect after 5 weeks but it's still very useful.

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm on day 27 for a sensor this morning, so like Spiker doing well.

Reactions: 4 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
@Spiker - did you see a marked improvement in your HbA1c when you started using the Dexcom G4?

I'd be tempted to get one if I get a pay rise/rob a bank.

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
I would love to give one of these a go , anything to reduce the number of holes I drill into my fingers is a bonus ( testing approx. 10 times /day)
and as a person who works with his hands, sore fingers is a problem, but the costs to me if I had to pay are too much, all my current medication and testing is all free, however when I have asked about anything else that may be a bit more costly, I have been told that " I have good control so there is no need to change the regime"

Paul

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker - did you see a marked improvement in your HbA1c when you started using the Dexcom G4?

I'd be tempted to get one if I get a pay rise/rob a bank.
My BG average (as shown on the fingerstick meter) reduced by one third. My hba1c is down but I was also low carbing and pumping by then so it's not possible to say what part of the hba1c reduction was due to the CGM.

A month or even a week on the CGM can give you the knowledge of your own patterns to set you up for a year of improved control. So beg or borrow one, if you can't steal.

Reactions: 2 people