CGM could ease my worries?

RollingJovi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been a type one Diabetic since 1993 and I’ve lived with the condition relatively well but since I’ve been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia in August 2010 I’ve had terrible anxiety and paranoia about my diabetes management. It’s been an ongoing thing and I’ve even overdosed with insulin cos of my suicidal ideation, which in turn had the district nurses coming to administer my insulin on a daily basis for almost a year. I then took the step of trying to take back overall control of my diabetes management and it seems that I have terrible anxiety and paranoia issues with hypos and hypers. I’ve been trying to control my levels as best I can but now and again without explanation a hypo or hyper will appear and then my mental health takes over and I hear voices which tell me I’m going to die cos of the hypo. Which makes me really worried.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar to me maybe not with voices but with the paranoia and anxiety and managed to seek professional help and maybe been given a CGM to help with the problems and ease them somewhat?

I’ve tried to get a CGM through my diabetes care team and they are really really uncaring and unable to sympathise with my mental health condition and just tell me it must be hard but offer no real good help with it. They seem very uneducated in this field and have sought the help of Kings College hospital diabetes team which has in-house diabetes psychiatrists. I’m due to see them on 23rd Feb 2018 and hope to ask for a CGM but not sure how to word it all? Any advice would be well received.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but not sure how to word it all
I can imagine how a cgm would be beneficial for you and I hope they can help you with this! If you're not sure how to word it, you can always make a print-out of this page with your question to us. I think it makes your problem very clear, so I suppose the psychiatrist would think so to :)
Good luck!

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear voices which tell me I’m going to die cos of the hypo.
That must be horrible, voices telling you you are going to die when already feeling rubbish because hypo. I already have trouble handling friendly people who keep asking me if I'm alright when hypo. I sincerely hope your voices will shut their ugly mouth shortly, either spontaneiously or because you feel less anxious with a cgm. Good luck again!