CGM on the NHS - please sign the petition now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pens are pre-loaded with insulin (some of them anyway). The accucheck mobile has no "strips" - it is a continious ribbon, so the BG meter is pre-loaded with strips in the same way pens are pre-loaded with insulin.
Pens allow the recording after use of the units taken and how long ago the injection was done. They make the injection device easier to hold and use and remove the need to inject air, draw up insulin into a syringe, then remove it from the phial. They also mask, to some extent for some people, that it is an injection, and most importantly, and the main reason for the introduction of them, they allow for repeatable, consistently calibrated doses for everyone.

The mobile substitutes strips for a continuous cartridge (but certain meters integrate the meter into the pot, so it's not a vast difference), however the mechanism of use is exactly the same. It still requires a finger prick and the positioning of blood on a receptacle.

That's why I disagree with you, and why I don't think that paying 3x the price for the testing media warrants it.

And this is why I come back to the point. Doing whatever anyone wants for everyone is not affordable with the current scheme. Yes, essential care needs to be covered. In certain cases (long term chronic conditions, cancer, HIV being the most obvious) lifetime coverage needs to be included. And none of these should cost the end user, other than what they already pay in taxes. The luxury of choice has to be reduced to make this worth while. At the moment, due to this choice, there is no pressure to reduce prices by the bigger manufacturers.

If we want to get things like the libre on prescription, it has to be bought in bulk and provide clear and identifiable benefits for the majority of the population. I think it would do and it wouldn't take Abbott a lot of time to work with the clinics to trial this with the patients who need it most to prove that. Once it was available, it should be available to everyone and not constrained by namby pambying CCGs. But we need to put together a good case for it. So far we haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Let's not get picky. The point was they essentially do the same job - one offers more than the other but they are both NHS funded.
Back to the beginning - the post was to encourage signatures for the petition. The petition, if successful, would get the idea of CGM funding "considered for debate in parliament" - nothing more. No reason not to sign it is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.