1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cgm Options

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by hels, Aug 29, 2018.

1. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am looking at self-funding a CGM. I've had a look through the threads on here and see that Freestyle Libre and Dexcom are the 2 options used by most, I wanted to check if there are any other options to consider? I'm in UK.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Those two are most common ones used here on the forum.

I believe that Roche are developing one called the Eversense XL under their Accu-Check label but as yet I do not think they are available or have finsihed being deleoped but do a search and you can find info on them, :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

these two are the most reasonable cost ones, have you looked at bluecon or timilar for libre? I think they might be on backorder thought.

If using dexcom I would recommend xdrip :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

If you are looking solely at CGM @hels , then the currently available options in the UK are:

Dexcom G6 - (10 day sensor wear, 3 month transmitter wear) Subscription plan £159 per month, items sold separately as well

Abbott Freestyle Libre - (Technically Flash not real-time - 14 day sensor wear) £40-£48 per sensor dependent on where you buy them from)

Medtronic Guardian Connect - (6 day wear) €553.50 for the transmitter pack, €384 for five sensors - Medtronic haven't yet realised that the pricing in the CGM market has changed dramatically

Medtrum Easysense - (7 day official wear, extendable to 14 in app) - £160 for a rechargeable transmitter (lasts two weeks), £35 per sensor - note - not very accurate in my testing.

Eversense XL - Implantable sensor that goes under the skin (Up to 180 day wear) - pricing is horrific and is only available privately through London Medical at the moment.

Eversense XL Pricing (all ex-VAT)

Initial appointment - £500
    DSN Appointment (required) - £95
    Insertion appointment - £300
    Eversense Kit - £2,940
    Removal appointment and second sensor insertion - £700
    Second kit - £1,540

So for just one sensor that will last somewhere between 90 & 180 days, you're paying £4,535, which works out at £27.41 per day in the best case or £54.82 in the worst (more expensive than Libre, per day...!), or in other words, is more than five times the price of the Dexcom G6 on subscription.

Apparently some NHS trusts are also offering it, but at these prices I imagine it's very few.

• Like Like x 2
    #4 tim2000s, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  5. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

WOW on the Eversense XL did not know it cost that much all I did was a quick search and think it was mentioned on the Forum a short time ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes - I was a little shocked when she told me! I reckon I could do it to myself for a lot less...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I can definitely rule the Eversense XL out!

8. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was going to comment earlier to say i thought the eversense XL price was in the thousands! had a feeling it was £2-4k, a CGM for lotto winners only I think!

@tim2000s you didn't list the dexcom G5, any reason why?

9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes. The price is the same as the G6 for the basic components and the subscription price of G6 is better in terms of overall coverage.

10. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a youtube vid showing the insertion procedure:

Quite apart from the price, the apple-coring device is not drawing me to this product. I'd like several tequilas on top of the local anaesthetic before I went anywhere near that.

It looks like what would happen if Hannibal Lecter developed an interest in cgm....

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook