CGM

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where can I get one from? What pump will I need? how much are they? would my PCT fund supplies? I have an old animas which i bought and it's old rubbish and gonna break. Please can you help, where did you guys get you CGM thanks!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
See my sig below for details on my system. I'm sure there are others too, I just don't know much about them.

Funding the supplies for CGM is a huge issue at the moment because of the lack of research into their efficacy, and also the expense. My PCT paid for the new pump and the transmitter kit, and occasionally pays for a box of sensors, basically whenever my consultant feels brave enough to add to the Trust's not inconsiderable overdraft!

I try to make the sensors last as long as possible as each one is priced at just under £40, and - according to the drug company anyway - lasts for only 3 days. So do the maths and it's a terribly expensive option. But there are very simple ways to double or even triple the life of the sensor, that the drug company don't (won't?) tell you about. I've had about 6 months CGM use in the last year and found it invaluable.

Normal pump supplies (infusion sets etc) ARE paid for by the PCT, but I'm currently battling with them to try to secure a permanent supply of CGM sensors. I'm awaiting the result of my latest appeal, and given I have zero hypo awareness my consultant thinks it's a no-brainer, but they have refused once already.

It's a long hard road!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. Think I'll just have to stick with my good old finger tests for a while then. I usually test about 12 times per day, I am lucky my doc lets me have lots of strips. Maybe one day when they are more widley used I may look into it more.

Just need a new pump at the mo, mines seen much better days :lol: