CGM's and a pump?

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I've been type 1 for 38years and am on the accu-chek spirit combo pump. I'm have real trouble controlling my sugars though. I've a Hba1c of 8 and am struggling to try and get my weight down. I think a CGM would really help, does anyone have one who's also on a pump? Any feedback about them and which is best to use with a pump would be amazing
Many Thanks. Hazel

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @hazel p , it really depends on how much money you want to spend and what you are trying to use it for. If you simply want to understand your glucose levels and trends then your best (and cheapest) bet is the Abbott Freestyle Libre, which records a ton of data to understand how your glucose levels look. It doesn't do any alerting, but it does give you all the data you might need to understand what's going on. It also has a low entry cost, as if you have an Android Smartphone, you can download a free app and simply buy one sensor for about £50 to test it.. Otherwise, the reader and a sensor costs £100.

The alternative is a the Dexcom CGM system, which comes in G4 and G5 versions. G4 is cheaper and the transmitter lasts for 12 months roughly, but requires a receiver to be carried at all times. G5 can be linked via Bluetooth to a phone, so gives less to carry, but the transmitters don't last so long, only three months and have a timer. This system is real time and can provide alarms if you are going low or high, plus all the data.

You can see price comparisons of all here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-gm-price-comparison.75106/

As you're on the combo pump, none work directly with it so you can use any of them. They all provide useful data and you'll use the pump as normal.