CGMs and constantly checking them

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
new to CGMs, just wondering does the novelty wear off if constantly checking the readings , I know it's a good thing to have them monitored constantly , I've had a week of both highs and lows which I don't think I'd have realised if I was still finger pricking and it has me worried a bit

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
new to CGMs, just wondering does the novelty wear off if constantly checking the readings , I know it's a good thing to have them monitored constantly , I've had a week of both highs and lows which I don't think I'd have realised if I was still finger pricking and it has me worried a bit
I've used a Libre for over 6 years now, and I'm still pretty much constantly keeping an eye on my numbers.
For me it's helpful.

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Libre for 2.5years.
At first I had 82 readings a day :cool: (16-17hrs awake time so you calculate)

After a year, 30ish.

Now it can go as low as 3-4, especially on busy days.
Although my sugars have been good with all these combinations, so I'm kind of aware what's happening, but still maybe should not go below 10-15

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was on Libre I checked maybe 20-30 times a day. Now that I have dexcom g6 I only check once every 15 minutes (so maybe 72 times a day). I can't help myself

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I’m awake I have libre readings sent to my phone & smart watch every 5 minutes

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I am in week 3 (2nd self-funded Libre 2 monitor) and the novelty hasn’t worn off yet .
I had my annual diabetic MOT yesterday so from today I will start experimenting with different foods to see what effect they have - I will be checking even more!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I find the Libre system great , and having continuous blood readings really help my control . However this can lead to information overload, I look at my readings about 15 times a day , sometimes less, but the important thing is I don’t react to all the readings cos if I did I’d do nothing but try to correct things , I’m diabetic so my bloods are not ever going to be permanently stable, knowing and learning when to react is the key ,

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
In my case, I used to check 25-30 times a day because 1) I could 2) am a control freak 3) my levels are quite erratic

However, that was in the early days of a separate reader before bluetooth to my phone, and particularly the high/low alarms. So now, I tend to look at the reading when I wake/go to bed and when I need to inject (or if something doesn’t “feel” right).