Change in diet

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Have decided to cut carbs and sugar from my diet and stop with the three Metformin and one glicicide as things weren't improving.
My first night my sugars are 6 before bed is this safe for T2 or do they need to be higher?
Is it safe to just stop medication?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
6 would be fine for me, but I can speak only for myself.

As for stopping medication without consulting your GP (Or whoever prescribed them), well, you are gambling with your health in my opinion. I'd be getting an appointment to discuss with your GP what you are doing before making decisions like that.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I want to stop my medication I make the decison and then check with my GP. I think I would ask him if I could stop the Gliclazide first and then reduce the metformin.

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
First day off meds my reading pre- lunch is 6.6 after 8.8.
With working away it's hard to consult with my nurse.
Thanks for your thoughts

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I want to stop my medication I make the decison and then check with my GP. I think I would ask him if I could stop the Gliclazide first and then reduce the metformin.
I would agree to try to let gliclazide go first. That works on your pancreas and you could have lows. If you do stop taking it then 6 is not too low. Even 5 wouldn't be too low as long as you are not on any meds that lower bs of course. But this is just MY opinion. Continu to test test test if you're going to do it without medical approval

Reactions: zand