change in medication

londoner

I was recently changed from repaglinide to gliclazide as my gp said it would improve my blood sugars. Since the change, I feel sick most of the day, have an awful taste in my mouth and generally don't feel as healthy as I did. My blood sugars are higher when I test which is a cause of worry. I can increase the gliclazide but feel not quite right, am hesitant to do so. I am due to go back in March and also wondered if I can insist I am put back on repaglinide.

Has anyone else experienced the same. I also take metformin 1000mg morning and eve and a gliptin morning and eve.

alaska

Hi Londoner

The first question many of us tend to ask the new folks here is how much carbs are you having in a day?

Ed

Tracey69

Hi Londoner and welcome
I am not sure if this is right, but hopefully Daisy1 will be on shortly and hopefully she can help. Have you read the information leaflet to see what side effects their are. If not give your GP a ring.
I am a type 1 and on Metformin but not on any other diabetic meds.
Hope you feel better soon
Tracey

londoner

Thanks for your responses. Carb intake is low. Patient leaflet does mention nausea. Now have an appointment for next week with doctor.

Can I insist I am put back on repaglinide which seemed to suit me even though HBA1c was 8.3?

alaska

I think it's best to raise this when you speak to the doctor.

Personally I'm not too keen on the idea of repaglinide or gliclazide as they both work by stimulating the pancreas to release more insulin, which tends not to be the most helpful thing for people with type 2.

However, I'm no expert so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Londoner

You might want to ask your GP to try you on one of the newer drugs such as victoza, byetta or bydureon. They work in a different way to those that just increase the supply of insulin. I take Bydureon and metformin

Regards

Doug

londoner

Hi

Back on repaglinide for the moment and feel better. Asked about Bydureon but was told it is not available for all and only for those who are very overweight. I am sure the NICE guidelines have said it should be available and not just for the overweight. Is this a case of moneysaving in the practice?