Change of meter and test strips by my surgery

Lynne C

Hi, I'm a Type 1 diabetic for 30 years and today I went to collect more Accu-chek BG test strips only to be told that all diabetics at our surgery now have to have a TRUEResult Twist meter and strips, this has been decided by the Berkshire PCT. When I first heard about this a couple of months ago I wrote to my GP with my concerns and he agreed I could contine with Accu-chek, now he says I have to change.
The new meter only has a 99 result memory then reverts to zero again. You cannot download results onto your computer and there is no facility for average results for 7, 30, 60 and 90 days that I currently have with my Aviva Nano meter.
It's obvious there is some cost saving involved here but with no discussion I think this is really bad and far from their stated 'commitment to Diabetes Care'.
Has this happened to other people?
Lynne C
posting.php?mode=post&f=32# :evil:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Lynne

The National Framework for diabetes management certainly makes a clear case for it to be done on a partnership basis. What has happened to you is not a good example of that happening. You have had the tools that help you manage your diabetes reduced unilaterally. You can try complaining to your local PALS, to the PCT and to your MP.

Regards

Doug

Lynne C

Hi, I've had quite a battle with my PCT and surgery but my MP has been great, he wrote to CE of PCT and got agreement for me to stay on current insulins 'as I am well controlled' and also that their target was to get '50% of diabetics on to the new meter. My surgery was effectively threatened that if they didn't change people over the PCT would send them a pharmacist 'who would do it for them'.
It seems there is a split between parts of the NHS who say diabetics don't take advantage of the services provided for them and the other part that is trying to save money on prescriptions.

TRUERespnse meter supplied by PCT has a memory but no record of date and time, only works between 10 and 40C so on cold days when I go walking it doesn't work. Really **** and obviously cheap but I now have agreement from my GP that I can have the test strips for my own meter that I bought. No response yet to my FOI request on relative costs of new meter and test strips and test strips for my own meter. Politics are being played with the lives of diabetics. New meter may be OK for Type 2 diabetics but far from good for Type 1.

I hope others can use my experience when it happens to them, which it probably will.

Kisacat

I have just had a similar experience.

I have been a type 1 for nearly 46 years. Following an excellent 'Insight' course run at High Wycombe Hospital, I was issued with an Accu-check Aviva glucose meter, which is excellent. It allows you to input your carb/insulin rations, insulin sensitivity, effect of exercise, etc and uses this information and each test result to calculate your next dosage based on the grams of carb you then plan to consume. Every one on the course thinks they are wonderful.

Today my request for new test strips was refused by my surgery. The PCT (Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire who are now 'clustered') have apparently decided that all diabetics will get a new meter to cut costs (the major cost being the test strips). I don't know whether they get the meters free or not, but others have mentioned that they are often given away free as a loss leader. (By the way, this is the same PCT who gave me the Aviva meter in October). The new meter is inferior in that is has none of the facilities described above.

The surgery practice manager was understanding and my GP provided the prescription I wanted, but said they would have to go back to the PCT to check whether they could still do this.

Now, how do we help to control and if possible reduce the vast amount of money which the NHS spends on diabetes care? By ensuring that all diabetics are as well controlled as possible and avoid the complications which end in illness, distress and misery, and also cost far more than the extra £10 per month for test strips.

I will resist linking this to the current NHS reforms, but it is a typical examples of cost cutting without thorough analysis. My pharmacist says he has come across similar stories; I wonder how common this is? If this is happening to you, then complain to your GP, your PCT and make your views known as far and wide as you can.

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dr's have changed meters in my surgery too. Gone from Contour to Jazz, not sure who make them but Dr just gave me test strips thankfully for my contour meter.

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most Boots stores have dropped the price of the BG Star meter that plugs in to an iPhone if anyone is interested.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week I was given a demo of the Roche (Accu-Chek) insulin pumps. Reading this thread, I'd be interested to know how the PCT's that stipulate certain BG meters for T1's deal with the fact that the Accu-Chek pump HAS to use the Accu-Chek meter and therefore, the test strips too.
How can they refuse to supply some T1's with certain test strips simply because of the way that you choose to deliver your insulin dose?
Can anyone clarify that at all?