Changed to Levemir

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

Well, my diabetes clinic today went well (although I had to endure 3 hours of hanging around). My HbA1c is back at 5.9% which really pleased me and after discussing the lows I've been getting mid morning but the highs at fasting and late afternoon, the Registrar decided it was time to stop the Insuman basal and try the flatter, longer-lasting profile of Levemir. I've taken my first dose this evening, but don't really know what to expect. I'd got used to trying to take the Insuman peak into account when working out my Apidra dose, but this evening I was at a complete loss as to how much Apidra to take. I guess it's back to trial and error again, but if anyone is on an Apidra/Levemir regime I could do with your experiences!

Cheers

Smidge

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi Smidge,

Great stuff on the 5% club! I really want to get there soon too.

I'm on Levemir and Apidra.

I find splitting the dose the most effective way of taking it; although they claim it's action is 24 hours I don't think it is. So I split it in 2 equal doses. Morning at about 7:00 am and evening at 10:30 - I put it back to try and catch the good old dawn phenomenon. I've heard of people splitting it into 3 but that seems a bit OCD for me. Also I would definitely forget doses.

On the whole I really like Levemir; far more stable and predictable than Lantus.

You'll need to keep an eye on it, and possibly do a fast in the day if you're having difficulties.

Best

Dillinger

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Dillinger!

Thanks. I've had a couple of days on Levemir now, and it is definitely holding me steadier than the Insuman. Unfortunately, it's currently holding me steady at too high a level. Not sure if I need more basal or more bolus at the moment. I think I was previously using the Insuman peak to get good before bed readings. The last two nights I've been in the 6s after tea, but at 9 before bed and then held at 9 through the night and 8 ish fasting. So, I like that it's holding me steady, but I need to work out how to get lower and steady!

I'm interested that you split your dose unevenly at 7 and 10. I'm currently splitting 6.30 am and pm. I'm pretty sure if I can get those levels lower, I'm going to like the Levemir smoothness. Just not sure what to adjust at the moment!

Smidge

bobismad

I'vebeen on levemir for about 7 years, it is a bit of trial and error to start with, but I'm on Novorapid as well, wich is quite 'spikey' in its delivery. When doin my conversion, I concentrated in getting nightime levels right 1st, as there are alot of variables throuhout the day, try eating same food for main evening meal @ same time, take same apidria as usual for the carbs, I'd advise underestemating levemir dose, so you have a bit of room to play with in reguards hypoing during the night, and test every 2 hrs to get an idea on how its working, levemir is quite 'flat' in its dispersal, so I'd suggest making sure you take a test @ about 4am, that'll give you a rough idead how its working when your fast acting shuld be spent....

Thats my suggestion..

Good luck

Bob

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bobismad!

Thanks for the advice. I am certainly a struggling a bit at the moment, but it is early days. I thought I was winning last night, because I was 6.2 after food, 6.3 at bedtime and 6.6 when I woke up. Unfortunately, I then went to 10.1 after brekkie, stayed at 8.9 until lunch when i thought I'd have an extra unit Apidra to bring the level down - but still 8.8 two hours after lunch. Ah well, I guess it will take some time, but at the moment I feel like going back to Insuman and putting up with the hypos :( I'll persevere for now and see how I get on tonight. If I stay steady overnight again, I'll try to tackle breakfast tomorrow!

Smidge

bobismad

Good luck with it, hope it all goes well, I'm not sure what your Diabeties team is like, but if your having probd, give the liason nurse a bell, I'm quite lucky as I'm near to local hosp, so I'm in the hospital clinic, so theres always someone available during the day, if I need advice, if yousee a 'practice' clinic, try phoning local hosp to seak to the DLN there, as they will be a specilist diabetic nurse not someone who's 'done a wee course'...from what I've seen on the forum over the years there seems to be a big difference between practice, better to talk to the organ grinder instead of the monkies.

Bob