Changes to NICE guide to Erectile Dysfunction medication

gbswales

I have suffered with erectile dysfunction due to diabetes for about 4 years now. I have tried various products and strenghts and he best for me seem to be Taladafil - I used to be prescribed 12 tablets a month which was reduced after a couple of years to 8 tablets. Now I have received a letter from my doctor saying that the NICE guidelines have reduced this down to 4 tablets a month as "adequate". My basic question is this - are the NICE guidelines mandatory or should I protest about this reduction to my GP

ED is as we know a progressive effect and even now that I have good control of sugar levels for the last few years I find that the tablets are less effective than they used to be. I am 66 but that aside I have always had a fairly high sex drive - My civil partner is considerably younger than myself and sex has always been important to our relationship. Although my partner is very understanding it does place a strain on things. I have found over the last couple of years that Taladafil tend to have a build up effect and if I take them for three days in a row spontanious activity is able to occur from about day 2 until a day after my last tablet. The consultant I saw a few years ago told me that for spontonaity (ie normal behaviour) daily tablets or at least one every other day had given the best results. He also told me that there was little likelehood of this being prescribed by my surgery. The reduction down to 4 tablets a month is effectively reducing our activity to no more than once or twice a month and because I cannot even usually masturbate without the drug alternative forms of relief are becoming more and more difficult. This is having an effect both on my relationship and me personally, as I constantly feel frustrated with the inability to do anything about it.

To be honest like most people I find it embarassing to discuss this face to face with my doctor and if any conversation is going to be met with "those are the guidelines and there is nothing I can do about it" then I am not sure that I can face going through that again. I already see in their face them thinking why should someone of my age be so concerned about sex. Well it is just the way I am, I have needed to orgasm usually once a day or more since I was old enough to be able to and in all that time the only thing that has faded is the ability to do so.

Do I have the right to challenge my doctor about this and seek to get my prescription increased

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have no idea, but I wish you luck.