Changes to some NDSS products from 01.12.2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

Just had a email from the NDSS regarding some changes to the availabity of certain testing strips, and needles as follows, this applies to both T1 and T2 diabetics.

My Accu-Chek Performa and Abbot Freestyle Lite strips are unaffected.

Changes to some NDSS products from 1 December 2018

From 1 December 2018 there will be some changes to products available through the NDSS for certain insulin syringes and select blood glucose test strips.

Most people registered with the NDSS will not be affected by these changes.

If you are affected by these changes you will be able to access the same types of subsidised products that you need through the NDSS, however, the brands of some products will change. If your usual brand of product is no longer subsidised through the NDSS, you will be able to select an alternative brand.

If you need to change your brand of blood glucose test strips you are eligible to receive a free blood glucose meter with your preferred new brand.

Reduced NDSS Co-payments

Importantly, the cost of blood glucose test strips will either remain the same or decrease, and the cost for insulin syringes will remain the same as outlined below.

Blood glucose test strips and urine test strips:

cost to the NDSS registrant will be reduced for all people without a concession card
cost to the NDSS registrant will be reduced for most people with a concession card

Insulin pump infusion sets and reservoirs:

no cost change to the NDSS registrant for people without a concession card
cost to the NDSS registrant will be reduced for all people with a concession card

Insulin syringes and pen needles:

no change
co-payments for insulin syringes will continue to be subsidised by State or Territory Governments.

Why these changes have been made

These changes have been made as part of the Australian Government’s commitment to support people with diabetes to self-manage their condition, and to ensure that the NDSS can meet the needs of all people registered with the Scheme in the long term.

These changes will begin from 1 December 2018. There will be a three month transition period to assist people who are changing brands.

Where can I find out more?

We understand that change can be challenging, and support is available to you while you are transitioning to a new product. Further information about changes to NDSS products can be found at ndss.com.au.

You can also call the NDSS Helpline on 1300 136 588.

Yours sincerely,

Katy Balmaks

General Manager, NDSS

Here are the links to the main NDSS site:

https://www.ndss.com.au/important-changes-to-the-ndss?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NDSS product changes 3&utm_content=NDSS product changes 3+CID_5e9a2f43690df70b53cc4f49469d2581&utm_source=Email marketing software&utm_term=ndsscomau

Here's the link to what is being taken away, and what will be included in the subsidised list:

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/ccea7e3f-a305-43ca-87fd-4feabf497c40.pdf

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you for this update @Tipetoo, economic rationalisation at its best??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Out with the old in with the new @kitedoc.

I expect there will be a major whinge when people who do not read their emails, go to get some strips and find they are no longer available.
Agreed @Tipetoo, I just hope there are cheap meters out there if they need to change meters.

D

Deleted member 308541

Agreed @Tipetoo, I just hope there are cheap meters out there if they need to change meters.
It said in the web link in the email, that people who's strips have been discontinued will have a choice of a supported meter.

Changes to some NDSS products from 1 December 2018 - Blood Glucose Meter

People with diabetes registered on the NDSS will be eligible to receive a free blood glucose meter associated with their preferred new brand of blood glucose test strips. Information about how to access a new blood glucose meter will be available from this webpage soon.

https://www.ndss.com.au/important-changes-to-the-ndss-blood-glucose

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you, good to know !!
You are up early. I hope you caught the worm !!! (That is, if it is low carb)!!

Last edited: