Changing from Human Insulin to Animal Insulin

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. How do people go on with having two pens the same colour or do you use syringes and vials? I have received two green autopens. I phoned up the company who makes them and asked if they still do the special edition pen which is clear plastic and they said they discontinued it years ago. I will just have to stick some tape on it or something. Maybe some pig stickers :D

iHs

CarbsRok said:
Cazz said:
Thanks for the replies. How do people go on with having two pens the same colour or do you use syringes and vials? I have received two green autopens. I phoned up the company who makes them and asked if they still do the special edition pen which is clear plastic and they said they discontinued it years ago. I will just have to stick some tape on it or something. Maybe some pig stickers :D

I always used syringes. This saved extra jabs as you can mix Isophane and neutral in the same syringe.
Use some tipex on one of the pens or nail polish. Just think how artistic you can be :lol:

Hi Caz

I also had the same problem as you when using Lantus and Apidra as I liked using the Autopens and needed them to be in 1 unit increments. I got hold of a Autopen Classic and put Apidra in that and used Lantus in the other 24 pen lol.

As you are now using Workhardt cartridges I am almost sure that you will be able to put one insulin into a Lilly Humapen so you will have a light green and a very dark green pen. I use the Luxura.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cazz

If you wish to stay with pens then one option you could use for the pens is as iHs posted change to HumaPen by Lily as the Wockhardt animal insulin cartridges do fit – I use Humapen & think they’re fab. :)

HumaPen Luxura is burgundy in colour and provides 1 unit increments 1-60 units (I use Isophane in this).

HumanPen Luxura HD is green in colour and provides ½ unit increments 1-30 units (I use Neutral in this as I find it handy to have ½ unit short acting insulin increments).

All the best.

Txx

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's a great idea. Just googled the pens and they look really nice. They look like proper pens! I low-carb so I could do with a half unit pen for the neutral and I love the burgundy colour which would be great for the isophane. They usually have lots of spare pens at the diabetes clinic so I'll ask for one next time. I'm really excited now. :D

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Cazz
I've got a couple of unused boxed autopen classics in blue, I'm happy to send them to you if you want to PM me your address. I got them last year, but decided to stick to syringes and vials. I've also got 2 green Humapen luxura HDs also boxed and unused. Let me know if you want any of them.
Jus

DiabeticVeteran

janabelle said:
Hi Cazz
I've got a couple of unused boxed autopen classics in blue, I'm happy to send them to you if you want to PM me your address. I got them last year, but decided to stick to syringes and vials. I've also got 2 green Humapen luxura HDs also boxed and unused. Let me know if you want any of them.
Jus

Hi Jus,

if you still have the Autopens, could I grab them of you please?

I will pay for the postage.

Cheers,

Steve

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Yeah no problem Steve, I've got 2 or 3.
Will contact u later
Jus x