Changing from Lantus to Levemir - a query

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks

Hoping for some advice here please. I am soon to be moving from Lantus to Levemir. For some time now I have been experiencing overnight lows and hypos. This is despite reducing my Lantus and having a snack at bedtime. I am hoping this change helps as I am struggling with lack of sleep and having to take a snack every night whether I want it or not.

I would appreciate people's views on whether this change will help and how the change will be managed

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Antje77

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi folks

Hoping for some advice here please. I am soon to be moving from Lantus to Levemir. For some time now I have been experiencing overnight lows and hypos. This is despite reducing my Lantus and having a snack at bedtime. I am hoping this change helps as I am struggling with lack of sleep and having to take a snack every night whether I want it or not.

I would appreciate people's views on whether this change will help and how the change will be managed

Thanks in advance

I used Abasaglar (a Lantus biosimilar) insulin and changed to Levemir last year.

My glucose fasting levels are generally flatter and have had very few hypos since changing. The times when I have gone hypo have been my own fault, misjudging activity levels and/or carbs etc.

Most importantly for me, the unpleasant myalgia that I was experiencing faded away within a few days of the change.

Overall I seem to need a couple more units of Levemir with each injection than I was taking with Abasaglar.

Don't worry, Give it go. You don't need to worry. Keep testing. You really don't need to worry.:)

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t have any experience with lantus but I’m quite happy using levemir injecting twice daily. I feel injecting basal twice daily makes the management more flexible and safer (eg when you made a mistake). We all deserve hypo free good sleep. I hope the change will work well for you

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies. I really hope this change helps resolve this problem.

Another quick query, Can this change be done quickly or does it need to be done over a couple of days or weeks

Thanks again

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I can't tell you what your medical team will advise but I reduced my night time Abasaglar, and started taking Levemir twice a day from the following morning - simples!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I was like you on Lanctus ( normally ) 24 units , and like you I was experiencing lows at night , I also felt that it was inconstant in its “ existence time “ . I spoke to a diabetic consultant during a routine appointment and he agreed that Lanctus was found to be inconsistent , so he changed me to Levimir, the only difference is I had to split my doses so instead of taking one before bed I now take two 12 hours apart. I find it much better. As far as dosage is concerned instead of the 24 units of Lanctus I now take 12 units of Levimir twice a day, however like all insulin dosages I alter them as required.

Reactions: urbanracer