Changing injection sites

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've mainly used my stomach area for shots but running out of rotation sites. Any advice for thigh injections? I'm sort of confused which part and do you need to pinch change angles? I can't seem to reach my arm and butt petite person.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Thigh Both inner thigh Frontal thigh and Outer thigh on both Legs Pinching seems to have been required when the Needle were Longer (So as to avoid hitting a vein.) nowadays I pinch where I have less fatty areas the fat parts of my thighs with modern needles are not really a problem. Others may have differing views but unless you are all skin & Bone as they say I think just go ahead and see what suits you.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I use the Thigh Both inner thigh Frontal thigh and Outer thigh on both Legs Pinching seems to have been required when the Needle were Longer (So as to avoid hitting a vein.) nowadays I pinch where I have less fatty areas the fat parts of my thighs with modern needles are not really a problem. Others may have differing views but unless you are all skin & Bone as they say I think just go ahead and see what suits you.
I was taught not to use the inner thigh because there were more blood vessels there compared to the outer thigh.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was taught not to use the inner thigh because there were more blood vessels there compared to the outer thigh.

Would you say sitting or standing while doing the injection is better? What no much fat on thigh and nothing to pinch?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Sitting is better than standing.
When I was on multiple injections I would inject at 45 degrees to better avoid hitting muscle. I could pinch up a little but not much. I would set up a grid so 2 across by 4 down on the outer side of each thigh. I would start say, left thigh upper outer part of the grid one day, the same on right thigh next day. And so on, and after 16 days before I would be back to the same 'neighbourhood'.
But, injecting into the thigh I found that insulin took longer to have effect (be absorbed) than if I injected into my abdomen.
And, on the days when I was doing a lot of walking there was the risk that the increase blood flow would increase the absorption on those days. So this unpredictability was unacceptable.
I devised a similar 'grid' for injections as for the thigh for injections into my abdomen.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sitting is better than standing.
When I was on multiple injections I would inject at 45 degrees to better avoid hitting muscle. I could pinch up a little but not much. I would set up a grid so 2 across by 4 down on the outer side of each thigh. I would start say, left thigh upper outer part of the grid one day, the same on right thigh next day. And so on, and after 16 days before I would be back to the same 'neighbourhood'.
But, injecting into the thigh I found that insulin took longer to have effect (be absorbed) than if I injected into my abdomen.
And, on the days when I was doing a lot of walking there was the risk that the increase blood flow would increase the absorption on those days. So this unpredictability was unacceptable.
I devised a similar 'grid' for injections as for the thigh for injections into my abdomen.

Thanks that's helpful to know. I'm still scared to try but have to. Do you recommend pinching? How bout arms any advice?

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so I tried the outer thigh why does it burn after no pain during or upon removal just after. Anyone experience that

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ok so I tried the outer thigh why does it burn after no pain during or upon removal just after. Anyone experience that
Not sure but it does happen ? insulin too cold?, too rapid injection when the skin and tissue beneath maybe tighter due to underlying muscle? Pinching may help but is more difficult I find in the outer thigh. Arms are tricky again because of muscle and limited area to use, unless one is a contortionist but not impossible.
There is a thread on injections (Auto-injectors for Injections) in which several injection devices are mentioned with pros and cons. One such devices does help to pinch up the skin and might make your life easier !!
At age 13 when diagnosed I had trouble giving injections and relied on an auto-injector for a while, until I grew out of its use. and need. It can be a problem at any age.
One really interesting things was the privilege to attend a number of diabetes camps for children. Most children who had arrived unable to give their own injections were encouraged to see their peers giving themselves their own injections and by the end of the week were proud self-injectors.
Chin up and Bestest Wishes !!

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure but it does happen ? insulin too cold?, too rapid injection when the skin and tissue beneath maybe tighter due to underlying muscle? Pinching may help but is more difficult I find in the outer thigh. Arms are tricky again because of muscle and limited area to use, unless one is a contortionist but not impossible.
There is a thread on injections (Auto-injectors for Injections) in which several injection devices are mentioned with pros and cons. One such devices does help to pinch up the skin and might make your life easier !!
At age 13 when diagnosed I had trouble giving injections and relied on an auto-injector for a while, until I grew out of its use. and need. It can be a problem at any age.
One really interesting things was the privilege to attend a number of diabetes camps for children. Most children who had arrived unable to give their own injections were encouraged to see their peers giving themselves their own injections and by the end of the week were proud self-injectors.
Chin up and Bestest Wishes !!

Thanks! I'm not sure what is was. It lasted a few minutes only. Will keep trying though

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@kitedoc did you ever leave marks after? The burning stopped second time but now I feel it again. More I feel the insulin flowing feeling?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@kitedoc did you ever leave marks after? The burning stopped second time but now I feel it again. More I feel the insulin flowing feeling?
Sometimes bruising and if I was walking soon after there was sometimes a feeling of tension /tightness at the site. Sometimes the injection was entirely painless and other times stung for some minutes. Room temperature insulin was less likely to do this plus room temperature insulin tends to cause less bubbles to form (and thus less to chase out of the syringe)!!

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes bruising and if I was walking soon after there was sometimes a feeling of tension /tightness at the site. Sometimes the injection was entirely painless and other times stung for some minutes. Room temperature insulin was less likely to do this plus room temperature insulin tends to cause less bubbles to form (and thus less to chase out of the syringe)!!

Thanks! I'm having trouble pulling out from the thigh. Sometimes it's painful and uncomfort I worry the needle might break.

Reactions: kitedoc

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That's right, but on the other side, the inner thigh also allows for a faster absorbing of insulin because of more blood vessels.
Depends a little on what you are aiming for - as always, when it comes to type 1...

"purplesunset" - are you pulling the needles straight out from the injection site also...?

Reactions: kitedoc

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's right, but on the other side, the inner thigh also allows for a faster absorbing of insulin because of more blood vessels.
Depends a little on what you are aiming for - as always, when it comes to type 1...

"purplesunset" - are you pulling the needles straight out from the injection site also...?

Yup straight out. I tried an angle before and it felt like the needle poked around.

Does anyone know if you inject into the vein, is it possible to get hypo hours after? Not suddenly after?

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup straight out. I tried an angle before and it felt like the needle poked around.

Does anyone know if you inject into the vein, is it possible to get hypo hours after? Not suddenly after?

Hello!
I can't say I know, but I would assume that it is more a question of, if it is slow-aciong or fast-acting insulins. On the other hand, why should you bee too worried about injecting into a vein. There are many smaller blood vessels, that could be hit with greater certainty - and if that happens, you DO suffer a little bit greater risk to get hypo...

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
I can't say I know, but I would assume that it is more a question of, if it is slow-aciong or fast-acting insulins. On the other hand, why should you bee too worried about injecting into a vein. There are many smaller blood vessels, that could be hit with greater certainty - and if that happens, you DO suffer a little bit greater risk to get hypo...

I didn't know it could happen with blood vessels too. I thought they would bleed if hit. Must be that.it was 70/30 mix insulin. I wondered if that happened.

Any thoughts on pulling out method?

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My right thigh seems to have trouble than the left. I keep hitting something, this time it bled. Either my thigh lacks fat or I'm doing it wrong.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't know it could happen with blood vessels too. I thought they would bleed if hit. Must be that.it was 70/30 mix insulin. I wondered if that happened.

Any thoughts on pulling out method?

Yup, it will probably bleed, but as you also have injected insulin, some of it will find its way into your bloodstream. I also tried to stress before, that the risk for hypo is only elevated, so you will probably notice the hypo-effect if/when it happens.

Concerning your second question I just have to say - sorry, but not really. I have no such problems myself.

My right thigh seems to have trouble than the left. I keep hitting something, this time it bled. Either my thigh lacks fat or I'm doing it wrong.

What size of needles are you using? If it's too long, I can imagine it gives you problems, and that would maybe explain the burning also - you could reach muscles as you inject, instead of a little bit under your skin...
Hitting a place that bleeds a little, is on the other hand not too uncommon - happens now and then.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, it will probably bleed, but as you also have injected insulin, some of it will find its way into your bloodstream. I also tried to stress before, that the risk for hypo is only elevated, so you will probably notice the hypo-effect if/when it happens.

Concerning your second question I just have to say - sorry, but not really. I have no such problems myself.

What size of needles are you using? If it's too long, I can imagine it gives you problems, and that would maybe explain the burning also - you could reach muscles as you inject, instead of a little bit under your skin...
Hitting a place that bleeds a little, is on the other hand not too uncommon - happens now and then.

I had that hypo experience last couple of days. I think I injected into a blood vessel or muscle. That spot left a mark and got sore.

I used a 4mm needle. The burning went a way it was just the first few times I tried the thigh. Now I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong where I inject I suppose.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had that hypo experience last couple of days. I think I injected into a blood vessel or muscle. That spot left a mark and got sore.

I used a 4mm needle. The burning went a way it was just the first few times I tried the thigh. Now I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong where I inject I suppose.

Hello again!

Sorry, I haven't been able to answer before...
4 mm needles should be OK - standard size. Try places where you have some loose skin, press your thumb and forefinger together, so you get a little bulge of skin between your fingers. Inject into the bulge of skin.
All the insulins, have different substances mixed into the solution, that you inject. Could be, that you are a little hypersensitive to one/some of its components. For example Zink is a substance, that is added to some of the solutions...
If the burning doesn't stop, you maybe should try to get another type of insulin, but with the same properties that you need - there are different sorts of insulins, and you could also combine two different, to get desired effects.
Hope your problem will be solved, and if some question comes to mind, then just ask...