Changing NHS Trusts

joanne75

Hi
I am looking for any help/info on changing trusts due to poor care and pump choices. I did ask my consultant to refer me but they have said that the trust I want to transfer to are under pressure in their pump clinic so it would be a long wait and therefore I will not benefit. I’m going to ask my GP to refer me this week but just looking to see if anyone has done this successfully? Thanks.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @joanne75, I changed trusts with a pump. My GP refered me.
(I'll come back and do a proper reply later, when I'm not on my phone :))

Reactions: Marie 2

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I am looking for any help/info on changing trusts due to poor care and pump choices. I did ask my consultant to refer me but they have said that the trust I want to transfer to are under pressure in their pump clinic so it would be a long wait and therefore I will not benefit. I’m going to ask my GP to refer me this week but just looking to see if anyone has done this successfully? Thanks.
Yes I changed to the neighbouring area because they had a better clinic being a little more ahead of things as they were linked to a research university.
I asked my GP to request this and he agreed that consultant x was known to be a bit tricky so was happy to support me.
The only glitch was that because I lived out of their patch, I had to get my blood tests done locally ahead of my visits to that clinic. This may not be the case for you.
I've since switched back (no time to spend an hour going back and forward by train) but was established on the pump so it was simpler to plug back into my local clinic (not noticeably better but at least my funding is sorted out and I can get my feet checked privately).

joanne75

Yes I changed to the neighbouring area because they had a better clinic being a little more ahead of things as they were linked to a research university.
I asked my GP to request this and he agreed that consultant x was known to be a bit tricky so was happy to support me.
The only glitch was that because I lived out of their patch, I had to get my blood tests done locally ahead of my visits to that clinic. This may not be the case for you.
I've since switched back (no time to spend an hour going back and forward by train) but was established on the pump so it was simpler to plug back into my local clinic (not noticeably better but at least my funding is sorted out and I can get my feet checked privately).

joanne75

Thank you for your reply. The issue I have is that (stupidly) I asked my DSN to refer me who in turn said the consultant would need to do this (thought it would be a quicker route than trying to get a GP appointment)
So my consultant replied saying he had spoken to a consultant at the trust I want to refer to and given that they are overrun in their clinic and that I wouldn’t be offered the CGM to run alongside the Dana RS it wouldn’t benefit me to transfer as there was a long wait list. So between then they have agreed that I’m better if where I am. I want to transfer for better care more tech savvy and the choice of pump that I want.

joanne75

Does anyone else have any advice please. I’m going to hopefully see my GP tomorrow and want to have as much info as I can thanks.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @joanne75, I'm so sorry I haven't replied earlier, I've had a horrific headache and my brains just not co-operating.
I changed trusts in 2020 when I moved house, but was going to stay with the trust I had moved from as that's where I got my pump. My GP asked if I wanted to change to the trust where I lived and I said I was worried that I would lose my pump funding, she wrote to the consultant who runs the pump clinic and they were happy for me to move to their clinic. When I had my first appointment I said about my pump and how I was worried I would lose funding and they asked why I had been put on the pump (seizures) and was the pump still helping with that, as the answer was yes they were happy to continue funding me.
The time between my GP referring me and my first appointment was about a month.
Are you already on a pump/due a new one soon?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else have any advice please. I’m going to hopefully see my GP tomorrow and want to have as much info as I can thanks.
How about asking the GP ignoring what you know about the supposed wait time. He is supposed to be your champion in getting you the care you need within the system. Ask if he/she can find out what that CCG offers in terms of pump/cgm choices bearing in mind (see the Dexcom thread for a list of what is approvedm that there seems to be a bit more choice. Or probably easier to call their Pump Administrator person directly if only to confirm what ;you've been told.
Follow Professor Partha Karr on Twitter too as he is a great type 1 tech champion.

embayweather

I was not allowed to swap to another trust, despite the local lot not ever contacting me. Thus I am without any form of support.

Paulaah

I changed trusts recently because I’d been receiving terrible care at my old one despite persistently asking for help. All they ever said was to take more insulin, but not listening to my massive problems to do with sensitivity and inconsistency. This had made me fear insulin.

My GP referred me absolutely no problem, after I’d explained the detail of my situation. I’d had a cranial nerve palsy, so like you, my situation had escalated.

Everything resolved now and getting good advice and better care. Overcoming my fear obstacles. Still not where I want to be in terms of time in target, but making progress.

Really hope your GP will step in for you.