Changing Pumps

Hiya,

I am currently on a Animas Vibe insulin pump (and been on it for the last 3 years) and as some of you are aware animas have stopped producing pumps in the UK now. I have been advised to change my pump provider within the next couple of weeks and I am posting this to ask you guys for your advice on the best pump available in the UK. I am 20 years old and in university and I still have confidence issues with my diabetes so I am looking for a small slim model of pump. I would love if you guys could help me out and provide me with some pros and cons of different pumps.

Thank you,

Tilly

D

Deleted Account

I would start by asking your diabetes team which pumps they are willing to fund as most CCGs only support a limited number and it doesn’t help setting you pr hopes on a pump which you can’t get.
For example, OmniPod seems to be a popular patch pump but it is too expensive for my CCG.

Reactions: tillybrett1998
I would start by asking your diabetes team which pumps they are willing to fund as most CCGs only support a limited number and it doesn’t help setting you pr hopes on a pump which you can’t get.
For example, OmniPod seems to be a popular patch pump but it is too expensive for my CCG.

Thank you, I am seeing my nurse tomorrow so I’ll ask which pumps they fund.

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya,

I am currently on a Animas Vibe insulin pump (and been on it for the last 3 years) and as some of you are aware animas have stopped producing pumps in the UK now. I have been advised to change my pump provider within the next couple of weeks and I am posting this to ask you guys for your advice on the best pump available in the UK. I am 20 years old and in university and I still have confidence issues with my diabetes so I am looking for a small slim model of pump. I would love if you guys could help me out and provide me with some pros and cons of different pumps.

Thank you,

Tilly
Hi Tilly,

I'm on a medtronic 640g, it works fine for my lifestyle but it's big, clunky and uncomfortable. However, I like how it functions and it's not glitchy. So it's 50/50.

If I were 20 and at uni I would want one that is more discreet. I was offered one by a Welsh company that works via a remote so you don't even have to fiddle about to find it. But it was very new and the issues still needed smoothing out. This may be less of a problem for you.

What I do know, is you are limited to what is on offer by your care provider, so first thing you should do is find out what you can get and then post again asking if anyone has those pumps and what they think of them.

Hi Tilly,

I'm on a medtronic 640g, it works fine for my lifestyle but it's big, clunky and uncomfortable. However, I like how it functions and it's not glitchy. So it's 50/50.

If I were 20 and at uni I would want one that is more discreet. I was offered one by a Welsh company that works via a remote so you don't even have to fiddle about to find it. But it was very new and the issues still needed smoothing out. This may be less of a problem for you.

What I do know, is you are limited to what is on offer by your care provider, so first thing you should do is find out what you can get and then post again asking if anyone has those pumps and what they think of them.

Thank you, this is very helpful! I’ll have a look at the Medtronic, I would prefer a more discrete pump but at the end of the day it’s for my health and I have to go with the best one. So I guess I’ll have to compromise somewhere. Yes, I’ll have a chat with my diabetic team tomorrow and I’ll do a follow up thread from then.

Thank you again!

D

Deleted Account

I was offered one by a Welsh company that works via a remote so you don't even have to fiddle about to find it. But it was very new and the issues still needed smoothing out. This may be less of a problem for you.
The Welsh company went bust so it is no longer available.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @tillybrett1998,
In Oz I moved to a Tandem Slim x2 pump last September after 6 years on Animas pumps.
In my view the Tandem is a worthy replacement.
It measures up to the same size as the Animas Vibe and most times I wear it in a carrier on a belt.
Although in crowds and if wearing a rucksack with waist strap I use a neck wallet over one shoulder and under
the opposite arm to carry it.
The Tandem is not waterproof the way the Animas was and has a touch screen rather than press buttons.
Tandem can be linked to Dexcom if CGM is important.
Again it may not be offered in all districts but just so you know !!
Best Wishes!!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to pumping & have the Tandem t:slim x2 which I'm pleased with. It's small & looks pretty good. The exciting thing is that unlike any other pump (I think) the firmware is updateable. Basal IQ (suspend when going low) is coming soonish & they are working on a full hybrid system to help when high too. The downside is that you will need a Dexcom G6 cgm to make use of these. So far very few people are funded for Dexcom by the NHS.

Last edited:
I'm new to pumping & have the Tandem t:slim x2 which I'm pleased with. It's small & looks pretty good. The exciting thing is that unlike any other pump (I think) the firmware is updateable. Basal IQ (suspend when going low) is coming soonish & they are working on a full hybrid system to help when high too. The downside is that you will need a Dexcom G6 cgm to make use of these. So far very few people are funded for Dexcom by the NHS.

Thank you, this was very helpful! I’ll see what is available today!