Charcot Arthropathy

laura81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there.

I have been type 1 diabetic for 25 years. My blood sugars have always been high (currently on the list for an insulin pump) and I have neuropathy in my feet. I went to the podiatrist at the diabetic clinic yesterday regarding a small cut on my foot (which is fine and not infected) but the doctor was unhappy with the shape and temperature of my foot so sent me for X-rays.

I have a problem with my ankle meaning it is stuck at a 45 degree angle, they don’t know why. My foot has been swollen and a bit sore but nothing too bad. I thought I had sprained it and it was sore due to the shape of my ankle. I had the X-rays and I have 3 broken metatarsals and a dislocation. The doctor said I have Charcot arthropathy. I had never heard of this.

I currently have a moon boot to immobilise my foot and the doctor said it may take up to 9 months to heal. There is a little deformity on the side of my foot but she said we have caught it reasonably quickly. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And if anyone has had a positive outcome. I have googled it and every article is worst case scenario with people needing operations or amputations. (To be clear, the cut on my foot is unrelated and not infected. I am aware ulcers can be a major issue in severe cases if this). The doctor said we have caught his very early and it is by far not the worst case she’s ever seen. So really if I do all the right things with resting etc to aid healing, can it be ok or is the outcome always going to be negative?

Thank you for any information or advice.

L

dmckatana

As you have been given a walking boot please as for a lift for the shoe on the other foot. It just sits at your heal but balances your hips so will reduce pain from walking in the boot

• Useful
Reactions: Oldvatr

AndyPandy22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there.

I have been type 1 diabetic for 25 years. My blood sugars have always been high (currently on the list for an insulin pump) and I have neuropathy in my feet. I went to the podiatrist at the diabetic clinic yesterday regarding a small cut on my foot (which is fine and not infected) but the doctor was unhappy with the shape and temperature of my foot so sent me for X-rays.

I have a problem with my ankle meaning it is stuck at a 45 degree angle, they don’t know why. My foot has been swollen and a bit sore but nothing too bad. I thought I had sprained it and it was sore due to the shape of my ankle. I had the X-rays and I have 3 broken metatarsals and a dislocation. The doctor said I have Charcot arthropathy. I had never heard of this.

I currently have a moon boot to immobilise my foot and the doctor said it may take up to 9 months to heal. There is a little deformity on the side of my foot but she said we have caught it reasonably quickly. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And if anyone has had a positive outcome. I have googled it and every article is worst case scenario with people needing operations or amputations. (To be clear, the cut on my foot is unrelated and not infected. I am aware ulcers can be a major issue in severe cases if this). The doctor said we have caught his very early and it is by far not the worst case she’s ever seen. So really if I do all the right things with resting etc to aid healing, can it be ok or is the outcome always going to be negative?

Thank you for any information or advice.

L
Try and keep the boot on it, stabilise the foot, and prevents further breakages. They will keep taking the temperature of your foot regularly. Once it's the same as your other foot the boot can come off (9-12 months) but you will find your foot is very stiff and it will take time and alot of work to be able to walk again. Keep the faith.

Hi Hat Annie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Five years ago I had charcot and was going to have an amputation but the surgeon said he would take a risk. A nasty ulcer on the heel of my left foot. All the bones in my left foot collapsed and after a six hour operation my foot was completely restructured. He had to cut off some of my leg bone and that leg is shorter than the other. My foot is kept together by plates, screws and other metals. I am so grateful to that surgeon. The foot looks perfect but is static I cannot bend it at all but can walk on it.