Charity Skydive

Littleone1710

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I am a type 2 diabetic and as this is a special year for me I have decided to do a tandem skydive for a local animal rescue centre.
However the last year I haven't been looking after myself too well, I was stressed and depressed due to losing both my and my husbands mum within 9 months of each other and pressures from work. Because I am diabetic I have to get my doctor to sign a medical form to say I am OK to do this jump. Because of my recent HBA1c result they have said the won't sign the form. I have now picked myself back up and am back to normal control and have done a new HBA1c test (results to be given) . Does anyone have any advice or have you also experienced this too and what happened? My doctor said they wouldn't sign because of insurance and have told me to use a CAA doctor ( Civil Aviation) instead. Please help.

D

Deleted Account

I did a tandem skydive a few yeas ago.
Initially, I didn't think I needed a doctor's certificate because the company I was jumping with emphasised age (need a certificate if over 40 years of age) but hidden in the darkest depths of their website I found something which also mentioned medical conditions including diabetes.
I expected this to be a formality and dropped the form off with my GP to be told I had to make an appointment.
At the appointment, the GP (who knew nothing about my diabetes control) was more concerned by me having a hypo than looking at anything like HbA1c. At one point, a thought he was not going to give his consent when he said that I was going to have all the fun whilst he took full responsibility. Thankfully, consent was given after his long lecture and I had an amazing day.
I hope you get the chance to job - jumping out of the plane is scary but once you're out it is a wonderful feeling.
Fingers crossed for your latest blood test results. Hopefully, showing your doctor your recent improvements will show him you are motivated to controlling your diabetes.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother gave tandem skydives back when they were new. 95% of the time is on the ground and going up in the plane. The actual skydive only takes a couple minutes and you are strapped to the instructor so the only concern would be a hypo IMO. I suspect the medical form is mainly for people with respiratory/altitude problems not diabetics.