Cheap Monitors

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Went for a walk this lunchtime and spotted that Boots have a half price offer on the OneTouch Ultra2 blood glucose monitor - £7.63. Test strips seem to be around £21 for 50 for those that can't get them on NHS.

Haven't used this model myself so can't comment on quality, etc, but would be worth a look if anyone is on the lookout for a cheapie monitor . . .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I use the ultra onetouch.I find it easy to use and you only need a very small drop of blood.It can be downloaded(or would if my usb cable worked!)You can add tags to your readings,which you probably can with other meters,I've only ever used this one.

funkyhaggis

Hi,

I have a one touch Ultra Smart and find it brilliant. The best thing about is is being able to down load the results - I go to the diabetes clinic every fortnight with my pregnancy (23 wks), and through most of last year with failed pregnancies and the year before with having my son (!) and the effort of having to write a food/insulin/result diary for last long was starting to take its toll! I have nearly 2 years worth of paper with results on them, but now no longer!

Also the drop of blood is tiny, and you can set your own personal schedules and blood sugar limits.

999sugarbabe

Free... it can't get any cheaper, is the Accu-Chek Aviva.
Accu-Chek supplied me with a kit, contained in a special wallet, to carry everything. Meter, multiclix lancets, test strips, spares and information booklet. Their customer careline is excellent, very helpful, and other items can be supplied (free) from them - DVD meter-training guide, batteries, quality control solution, data management software & hardware, record books... (0800 701000 UK or 1800 709600 Ireland). :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
if the ultra 2 build quality is anything like the ultrasmart build quality then i would say it's probably excellent.

The onetouch ultra series seems to be very sturdy and very well build. They dont *feel* cheap either unlike some other meters!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i too have one touch ultra and love it,i did like accuchek compact but id 3 faulty ones in a row ,i do prefer the one touch and ive tried a few now :D

Trinkwasser

The majority of folks elsewhere also seem to rate One Touch monitors, but not a few prefer the Accuchek finger stabber. Should you wish to purchase this on its own it may cost MORE than an Accuchek monitor kit complete with strips.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Having recently been diagnosed, I was at a loss as to what monitor woule be ideal. I went into my local boots superstore and asked the pharmacists advice and he talked me through all the monitors they had on off. I eventually plumped for the One Touch Ultra Smart because it came highly reccomended by the pharmacist. Ideal for when I take a visit to the clinic as I can recall all my stored data at the touch of a button.
Plus I am led to believe I can store all my data on my PC/Laptop with the relevant software

jim

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The Freestyle mini also downloads to computerand needs a drop of blood the size of a pinhead. ( the steel pins, NOT the pearl topped pins.) It's fairly fast too and according to Mendosa is accurate. Abbot Diabetes Care, who supply it, will also supply the strips and their customer sevice is brilliant.