Chest Infection

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a Asthmatic having chest infections on a regular basis is not unusual.
Anyway I've have this chest infection for around a week now and my BG levels have been really irratic, hitting 14 & 15 mmols regularly is this normal?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a Asthmatic having chest infections on a regular basis is not unusual.
Anyway I've have this chest infection for around a week now and my BG levels have been really irratic, hitting 14 & 15 mmols regularly is this normal?
Hi, @supersonic
Scary isn't it. I find with chest infections and asthma the same happens to me. Blood glucose in double figures, and taking a few weeks to settle after. Have you been prescribed antibiotics or steroids meds?
Hope you are getting plenty of rest and that you feel better soon.

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @supersonic
Scary isn't it. I find with chest infections and asthma the same happens to me. Blood glucose in double figures, and taking a few weeks to settle after. Have you been prescribed antibiotics or steroids meds?
Hope you are getting plenty of rest and that you feel better soon.
Just finished a course of prednisolone
Been sent up to the hospital, all Parr for the course.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both infections and steroids (of which prednisone is one) send blood sugars up, so yes, normal.
Hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just finished a course of prednisolone
Been sent up to the hospital, all Parr for the course.
Oh, I know that so well. It takes a while for blood glucose to settle after prednisolone. For me it used to be about 6 weeks. Still trying to get control back after last lot in May, but would emphasise, the need to breathe takes priority over diabetes management. Once that is sorted I work at getting tight control of blood glucose again. Oh and stick with the asthma plan. Hope you have your own individual asthma plan too.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Sorry your poorly with a chest infection, yes infections do often cause higher blood glucose.
Hope you feel better soon.
Take care

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @supersonic, Sorry to hear of your travails.
Some I know of with T2d and asthma/chest infections have said they needed insulin for some days and week or so to keep the BSLs under sufficient control.
And as a mild asthmatic (and type1 diabetic) I was advised to obtain yearly influenza vaccination, and a once or twice time pneumonia vaccination. Has your doctor advised the same in the past?
Best Wishes for an uneventful recovery !!

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @supersonic, Sorry to hear of your travails.
Some I know of with T2d and asthma/chest infections have said they needed insulin for some days and week or so to keep the BSLs under sufficient control.
And as a mild asthmatic (and type1 diabetic) I was advised to obtain yearly influenza vaccination, and a once or twice time pneumonia vaccination. Has your doctor advised the same in the past?
Best Wishes for an uneventful recovery !!
Please to say I'm up todate with all the vaccinations

Reactions: Pipp