Chia seeds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some up last night and left in the fridge overnight. It needed a stir or two initially before bed.

Sure enough it ended up like tapioca but with a crunchiness to it. I then added some artificially sweetened strawberry jam. It was quite tasty. I enjoyed it but then I like that sort of thing.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something like this:

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-simple-chia-pudding/

But I will use milk and Stevia sweetner to start off with. Unfortunately I have bought the black variety but it seems the white variety does indeed give a tapioca look about it.

View attachment 30824
If thats what it looks like...frog spawn.. no way could I eat it that reminds me to much of tapioca pudding at school which we would never eat but they still served it up every week and that looks the same

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
One mire voice here... the “choking on chia seed” thing would happen if you ate it DRY. If you moisten it so it makes pudding, it has swelled as much as it’s going to. If you make a batch it keeps well in the frjg for several days. You may have to add a little more liquid and stir it up again but the basic idea remains the same. The sky’s the limit on variations!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If thats what it looks like...frog spawn.. no way could I eat it that reminds me to much of tapioca pudding at school which we would never eat but they still served it up every week and that looks the same
I quite liked the tapioca pudding at school, served with a dollop of strawberry jam on top which you stirred in to make it pink.
Chia seed puddings also remind me of Indian Tapioca Kheer puddings, which were also made using rice and vermicelli. Lots of condensed milk and sugar involved though.

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 14.04.10.png

Reactions: Chook

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made up a second and larger portion of this pudding, again using milk.

It seems to me that yes it does expand but only so far, so once done it appears at least that it would not expand any further, once in the stomach.

If one were to eat the seeds in their pre hydrated state (dry) like sprinkled on a salad or something then yes they would expand but only in a limited way and in small quantise presumably this would not be an issue.

I don’t know if this is correct but it seems to look that way.

I have just started making a batch of mixed berry jam using a frozen 5 berry mix and Stevia. I will use some chia seeds to help jel it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51