1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Chilblains?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by ExD, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ExD

ExD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My husband has developed what he says are chilblains on 3 toes and is treating them with germolene. He is type 2.
    He gets angry and nasty when I try to get him to see his GP or diabetic nurse and wouldn't attend an appt I made on his behalf.
    I cook him low carb meals but suspect he 'supplements' these with confectioneries on the qt, and I know he eats bags of apples as I see the bags in his car.
    Question - how do I get this man to see a medic - he's obviously terrified of being told the obvious diagnosis and is just hoping things will clear up on their own.
    Could I phone the surgery and ask them to call him in for a check-up?
    Oh - he did weigh 20 + stone, but after a free course of 12 classes with slimming world has slimmed dwon to 17 stone and considers himself to be normal weight. IMO slimming W has far too much carb (pasta, rice and potatoes all 'free')

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I get chilblains and have never seen a doctor about them. In fact, I have had chilblains all my life and only had diabetes for less than a third of it so I do not consider them related.
    Most of the time, I just "deal with it" but if they get ultra itchy, I treat them with germolene like your husband and they do clear up without any professional treatment.
    I think the important thing is to try to stop them happening. They are caused by blood vessels expanding and bursting when they go from cold to hot quickly so I try to keep them warm. For me, this means two pairs of socks when I am sitting in my office.

Initially, I thought you were saying that your husband had been diagnosed with type 2 but I realise this is not the case although you are concerned.
    As a person with type 2 yourself and a member of this forum following advice like a low carb diet, I assume you have a BG test meter. Can you get him to do a BG test? Could you start a conversation with him about what BG you would expect someone without diabetes to have and get him to tests as your guinea pig, for example?

3. ExD

ExD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hee Hee. Good idea but getting the great big wimp to prick his own fin ger! He just seems a candidate - over 20 stone, (well 17 now), in his 70s, unfit, likes sugary food - and there am I at 7stone 12lbs, very fit ................. life just ain't fair is it.

#3 ExD, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook