Chilblains?

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My husband has developed what he says are chilblains on 3 toes and is treating them with germolene. He is type 2.
He gets angry and nasty when I try to get him to see his GP or diabetic nurse and wouldn't attend an appt I made on his behalf.
I cook him low carb meals but suspect he 'supplements' these with confectioneries on the qt, and I know he eats bags of apples as I see the bags in his car.
Question - how do I get this man to see a medic - he's obviously terrified of being told the obvious diagnosis and is just hoping things will clear up on their own.
Could I phone the surgery and ask them to call him in for a check-up?
Oh - he did weigh 20 + stone, but after a free course of 12 classes with slimming world has slimmed dwon to 17 stone and considers himself to be normal weight. IMO slimming W has far too much carb (pasta, rice and potatoes all 'free')

D

Deleted Account

I get chilblains and have never seen a doctor about them. In fact, I have had chilblains all my life and only had diabetes for less than a third of it so I do not consider them related.
Most of the time, I just "deal with it" but if they get ultra itchy, I treat them with germolene like your husband and they do clear up without any professional treatment.
I think the important thing is to try to stop them happening. They are caused by blood vessels expanding and bursting when they go from cold to hot quickly so I try to keep them warm. For me, this means two pairs of socks when I am sitting in my office.

Initially, I thought you were saying that your husband had been diagnosed with type 2 but I realise this is not the case although you are concerned.
As a person with type 2 yourself and a member of this forum following advice like a low carb diet, I assume you have a BG test meter. Can you get him to do a BG test? Could you start a conversation with him about what BG you would expect someone without diabetes to have and get him to tests as your guinea pig, for example?

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hee Hee. Good idea but getting the great big wimp to prick his own fin ger! He just seems a candidate - over 20 stone, (well 17 now), in his 70s, unfit, likes sugary food - and there am I at 7stone 12lbs, very fit ................. life just ain't fair is it.

Last edited: