Chloramphenicol Eye Drops Unrefridgerated Overnight

A

asparagusp

I forgot to put my eye drops back in the fridge last night. This morning I have popped them back to chill them. Will they still be efficacious?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the 3 types of Eye Drop that I have to use, has to be kept in the fridge so i think I know first hand what you are refering to.
Occasionally I forget myself to return them to the fridge, particularly the final drops that I take before going to bed, only to find in the morning that I inadvertantly left them out overnight.
I wouldn't worry too much over this as here in the UK we generally have a much colder climate than those of the central tropical desert regions, so there is most probably nothing to over worry about.
The only real concerns is if the Eye drops in my case are allowed to exceed temperatures of 20 degrees C (Very unlikely here indoors in my kitchen in the UK) and then they jave to be above that temperature for a lenghty time period.
If you are worried there is usually a manufacturer's help contact details (usually via the Internet) on the information sheet that comes with the Eye drops that you could use, or alternatively ask your local Pharmatist.
Hope this re-assures. you.
Best of luck - Lazybones

Last edited:
A

asparagusp

Many thanks Lazybones. I did put them back in the fridge for an hour before my first dosage today! I'll bend the ear on my pharmacist later (and if need be buy another bottle).

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Buy another Bottle" surely you are entitled to free Eye drops as a diabetic you would certainly be if they were prescribed by your local hospital's Eye clinic - Mine are, but there again I'm now registered as being officially blind, though I can fortunately see to a certain degree.

A

asparagusp

It's Saturday and getting a prescription today would be a real hassle! I'm doing well already with the NHS support system. A few pounds is nothing!

A

asparagusp

I spoke with the pharmacist who says my drops were no longer of use. So I bought a replacement ,ade my Optrex which is available over the counter, It cost me £6 but i am beginning to wonder if in fact I had taken the drops out of the fridge in the first place ..... oh well. Too late! lol