Chocolate!

aprilsnail

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
My mum is a newly T1 diabetic.
Were still getting used to the changes and one of those is chocolate, she knows she is allowed chocolate as long as she take the right insulin but last night after tea she decided she would have a small piece and it send her sugar levels through the roof!
She went straight to 25!

Of course we know this cant happen again so does anyone have any sweet treats they have tried that are tasty enough to satisfy her sweet tooth without being a huge danger to her health!

Thank you in advance for all help and comments!
Your support is much appreciated!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I look at the carb values and inject - dark chocolate's recommended, not so much saturated fat - and Moser Roth, from Aldi, come in wrapped portions. Has she got carbs and Cals? There are sweet things and their carb values to be found, app or book versions available.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just looked at your post again and realise that your mum's probably still in the 'honeymoon' stage so it's harder to calculate for extra sweet treats. There are also boxes of sugar free sweets at Aldi, often near the checkout. The flavours I can remember are fruit, cappuccino, butterscotch, mint, strawberry and rhubarb and custard.

D

Deleted Account

A lot depends on the type of chocolate: the amount of carbs, the amount of fat and the amount of chocolate.
The carbs will be sending your mother BG high; the fat could delay this rise but it will still happen; and the amount of chocolate is how high.

As @Fairygodmother mentions, dark chocolate has lower carbs so is usually easier to manage.

Is your mother counting her carbs and adjusting her insulin accordingly? If not, the rise may just be because the amount of carbs she consumed with the chocolate is more than the amount of carbs she ate and the chocolate was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

All sweet treats have carbs within them. This does not mean she cannot eat them. Just that the total carbs vs insulin needs to be considered.